1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best bass for plaid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pklima, Jun 28, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've had the idea of a Burberry plaid bass in the back of my mind for a while. I'm in the market for a new bass now, and I'm thinking about either wrapping the body in plaid-patterned vinyl (as suggested in an earlier thread) or doing the simpler thing and putting some plaid-printed paper under a clear plastic pickguard.

What bass, though? I've got a pretty good idea of what actual functional features I need on this bass, but never mind that. What brand, model and color would be the best looks-wise, both for the wrapped body and pickguard-only versions?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I vote for striped body, and plaid pick guard.

3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Go the classy route & have the Fender, Schecter or some other custom shop build a custom-painted plaid bass for you.

4. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    on a fender p. that's a pretty big pickguard for maximum plaidness.

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was SO ready to close this.

But, i now see that you don't mean "What bass looks best when I wear plaid"

Gotcha.

6. Black body. Best contrast for anything lighter colored.

7. I would use an early P design, like the Douglas Pisces. Lots of open areas to work with.

8. Don't mess with the bass - if you want plaid - just wear a kilt.

A-2-08-060-03.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Take one scotch tape ad out of a magazine and glue it facing inward , to your already taped up glasses .
    Now the WORLD is your plaid prairie oyster !
    FREE SCOTLAND !
    :)

10. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Guh, chavs ruined Burberry for me :barf:

I feel like a white P-bass with a plaid guard could work though

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... on a Spector/Thunderbird alike bass body (the one Nikki Sixx played throughout the dr. FeelGood 1989/1991 world tour)
    and became a signature "olograph" model with Pantera's Rex;

And then go like that on a MM/Sterling pickguard, which has such regular oval shape, IMHO good to get graphic effects on.

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: I'm serious about the tartan. Campbell's is a border Clan, leadin' all scottish assemblies in time, yet stayin' loyal to the Crown

So you won't hurt neither Scots nor Saxes (please don't kid around the brass section: here in Europe is a troubled thing)

12. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    that's easy- black/maple p or j bass.

13. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well plaid, sir!

(sorry, I just had to:p)

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Glad to see Precisions mentioned a few times, I'm thinking P-bass anyway. It's a classic shape to go with an iconic plaid.

For the full body wrap variant, a '51 style would be best, I think. Biggest area and the lack of countours seems to go better with the squares of the plaid.

For the pickguard variant either a classic split-coil style or maybe a '70s Tele with the big rectangular pickup and big pickguard. Black is definitely the safest color choice for the body there, but I'll do some photoshop mockups with shell pink, butterscotch, sunburst...

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    As long as the bass in manufactured in either Scotland or Ireland; is black-n-maple fretless, it will be the best bass when wearing plaid. :bag:

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Did some Photoshop mockups, even showed them to a real live girl.

We both agreed that light pickguard + rosewood neck + plaid body or plaid guard + butterscotch body + rosewood neck is a solid choice.

I personally liked a shell pink '55 with plaid pickguard best, but she hated it. She liked the Wentz Squier with the red tortoise guard, plaid body with large-scale pattern and maple neck best of all.

plaid_bass.

Haha. Well, that really was only about testing color and pattern combinations, but I never use tone knobs, either!