Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the deal with doublers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 15, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Has any body else noticed that alot of people who play double bass and electic bass have extened range instruments take for example Mike Pope, John Patitucci and some others those names elude me at the moment.

Is there a particular reason for this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most of them are jazz guys who want to take advantage of the 6 string's capabilities for soloing and chordal work.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a lot of people who eat dinner buy red cars too :p

lots of DBer's I've respected use vintage P basses when playing electric... heck Mr. Clarke goes so far as to play Short Scale 4 bangers :bassist:

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If they only wanted to play 4 strings...they would pull out their 'real' bass?

;)

5. "real"

:D

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I double and I use a fender jazz. :) Look at Christian McBride, he one of the busiest doublers out there and he plays fender style electrics.

7. I guess many reach for extended range electrics because their double basses are their 4 string standard, and they don't play extended range uprights. It's not exactly easy to play a 6 string upright!