Whats the difference between Jazz and Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackBassPlayer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Joe;

Thanks for sharing.

2. funkbass85

funkbass85

Jun 28, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hey There are a few reasons that a J is differnt than a P
    the first is that a jbass has has an offset contour in the body while the pbass contours are directly across from each other.

Second the Pbass has a split coil pick up where basically they took a single coil cut it in half rotated one side, so that the polarity is reversed, and off set it. This gives the bass a real warm bassy tone. The jazz bass has two single coil pickups each have a seperate volume knob so you can blend the tone better. This gives you, in my mind, a wider range of tone http://www.talkbass.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1837436#:bassist: .

Third a Jazz bass has a slim neck.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    We love Jazz Basses..the Fender ones. :bassist:

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    has anyone put a jazz neck on a p-body? (I think Adam Clayton - U2 did this)...

ps. I think P's look better.

5. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Did you get that out of one of the Total guitar bass specials. I'm comparing it and it looks word for word? Be honest.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Smash, a question for you...I've always heard the term 'offset' applied to the waist of the Jazz bass, rather than the bottom/tail curve of the body. I always took it to mean because the body shape 'thins' after the horns, but are uneven the two concave portions are 'offset'. Fact or fiction?

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

IIRC "Offset" means that the bass is skewed. Skewed just like how the word skewed is italicized.

8. capcom

capcom

Mar 23, 2005
    "P" is not between where the two J pickups are.
    The "P" pickup's position starts from exactly from the upper part of the jazz bass'es bridge pickup.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can play jazz on the J-bass, but the P-bass is more precise.

Caleb Mills likes this.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    LOL Sadowsky's are for Polka bands right? :p

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    10-4.

12. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    If you've truly seen it "word for word" (be honest!) somewhere please let me know as I'd like to bill them accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not word for word, but pretty close :bassist:

13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I've had my P-Bass for ooooh 13 or so years, and have twice in the past dabbled with Jazzes... first I got myself a Squier Jazz in about 1995... and it was erm... alright, then a couple of years ago I got my MIM Jazz V, and it was ok but too heavy to enjoy playing a full gig with... so the P-Bass stayed as my main bass

I dug out my Jazz V to help transcribe a Jaco tune a few weeks ago (got to get the right sound) and decided I was going to give a 4 string Jazz one more try.. so I went out and got myself a MIJ standard Jazz.. nothing fancy, it just seemed to me to be the best 'bang for the buck' option open to me

and the comment from Joe Beets earlier in this thread 'Jazzes are just twangy banjo sounding things' etc was generally always my view... but I played my new Jazz at a gig this afternoon and it was a fantastic experience :) that twangy, 'not as nice to listen to in isolation as a P-Bass' sound sat well in the mix a lot better than my P-Bass ever did... the lows were lower, and the highs were more cutting... in short, I had a wonderful time :)

so I guess my point is that although Jazzes can sound a bit weird on their own, it's how they sit in the mix with other instruments that really makes em special...

consider me a convert :)

14. You've converted to the religion of the jazz bass - cool bro! :cool:

I've got 3 jazzes (1 mim (very bassy, hot), one Mij (more twangy, a vintage reissue), and a mim 5-string (not half as bassy as my 4-string mim, but essentially the same sound) ) they all sound good for different gigs

Heres my basic view on how to use the pickups (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

If your doing rock and want a "thump" - use the neck pickup only and turn down the treble and turn up the bass a bit

if you want "clank" or "slap" then use both the pickups with the treble on full

if you want "jazz" or "funk" (barr mowtown/Jamerson stuff) just use the bridge pickup... :cool:

Oldschool94 likes this.
  15. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    jazz bassplayer since 1974......

great info in this thread, but no one has touched on the passive Jazz vs the active jazz basses.

Maybe for another thread?

I'm old school and favor passive.......just my $0.02

16. rotero

rotero

Feb 25, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Both basses are standards and you have heard them on thousands of tracks.

Everyone has pretty much covered the difference in the feel of the neck. That is one main deciding factor in personal preference. P Bass feels like a Mustang, Jazz feels like a Corvette. Take your pick.

The pickup placement has also been explained, but what has not been mentioned is the abundanvce of P/J basses available and the reason for it. I'll try to explain this by describing the sound and feel of the pickups and why someone might choose P/J instead of just P or pure J.

One thing to consider is that, because it only has one pickup, a Precision can never really sound like Jazz, while a Jazz can do a pretty decent job of sounding like a P. Either the neck pup or a series rewire can give a workable P sound with a little EQing. No amount of EQ will get your P Bass to sound like a Jazz with both pup on full (THE standard slap sound IMO) or like a Jazz favoring the bridge pup (the growl made famous by Jaco...and Geddy...etc...) The second pickup is key.

The strenghts of a P: Cuts through a mix, thick sound, best bass for pick slingers bar none.
    Weaknesses: One-trick-pony, it's a good trick, but not very versatile.

Strengths of a J: Fast neck, versatile tone, ridiculous amount of upgrade parts available.
    Weaknesses: Can sound thin if you don't know what you're doing. (Listen to Zeppelin or Bob Marley or Audioslave and tell me all J basses sound thin!) You really need to get to know your bass and amp to get the sound you like, but if it's on a record somewhere your J can probably cop it.

Many high end basses have fancier, smoother sounding "soapbar" humbuckers (Alembic, Modulus Quantum, etc.). These are usually placed near the J positions. If you listen players that play these basses and are going for that tone a P bass will just not cut it. A Jazz with some EQ can get you reasonably close to most tones out there.

The third "standard" bass, also designed by Leo Fender is the Musicman Stingray which sports one big humbucker. This is a slightly different sound which many players prefer. Flea is the Stingray standard bearer and his Modulus is a fancy Stingray.

What you will find is that most manufacturers and luthiers choose a combination of these three Fender pickup ideas. Lakland, for example has recently popularized the MM humbucker with a J neck pup, which can nicely darken the and fill out the MM sound, and dozens have since copied that idea.

Players who want a more versatile P bass will often choose a P/J setup, where the Jazz bridge pickup is added to a stock P bass. Quite a few builders seem to prefer this setup, specifically Spector and Warwick (which are typically based on Spector's - not Fender's - template).

I have spent many years playing a G&L L-2000 which was Leo Fender's goodbye gift to bassists everywhere. It can sound like all three of his classic basses. Consider a G&L Tribute L-2000 if you are shopping for your first "serious" bass and you like a traditional look and feel.

If I had to choose between only having a P or a J, I'd take the Jazz Bass. I like the neck better and the tone versatility destroys the P. But a P through an SVT is still the essence of visceral bass. I wouldn't kick a good P Bass out of bed. ;)

17. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Rittman, OH, USA
    I have a jazz neck on my hot rod P.

18. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    FYI - Since 2004, the American Deluxe Precision and American Deluxe Jazz models have the same necks.

Ted

19. [​IMG]

best of both worlds, wish fender made em lefty and not just squire. it's really flexible. i got two and defretted one. solo the j pickup on the fretless and it sounds just like jaco. solo the p pickup and it sound just like a standars p. combine the two and it sounds like a p with a little more of a hard edge and more highs.

20. Bob Moulton

Bob Moulton Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    That's actually not entirely true. While they have what is both commonly known in Fender terms as the "Modern C", their width at the nut is different. The ADP is 1.625 at the nut and the ADJ is 1.5. When you play one right after the other you notice a fairly significant difference.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021