What's the easiest recording software to use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 30, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    I currently use CoolEdit Pro, but it's kind hard to use, not in terms of skills that have to be involved to use it, but the way you control the software. after I'm done recording, it doesn't prompt me whether to keep it or not, the program thinks I never make mistakes or something. and ther are no keyboard shortcuts for the record button, and it's not something you can use to record right off the bat... you gotta rig the track and press the record button with your mouse and there's no countdown start for the record function (soundforge has it)

is there a recording software that can do all that? are guitar tracks pro or 2.0 my answer? I'm willing to pay some money, not a whole lot, but a reasonable amount to make some amatuer recordings, just for fun. I already own an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard, which has support for ASIO 2.0 and high quality sound

thanks a lot.
  2. thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    You might just consider getting used to what you have to do to get your thing done. Cool Edit Pro has lots of cool stuff you can eventually learn to take advantage of, and you might dig using all those funky editing tools. :hyper:

You can create default templates so that your tracks are always set-up the way you want to record- all you'll have to do is arm your tracks. Search the .pdf! It can be made pretty dang easy if you learn what to do... (You might also check to make sure you can't hot-key the record button... :))

And you should learn how to save your tracks! You'll find that when you try and exit a session, CEP will then prompt you to save your work...(.pdf...)

There's also n-Track ($45 or $60, depending on bit depth you want), a few other things out there, including some good free stuff, like Kristal. Search Google for 'Freeware'or 'Shareware'.

Or you can spend $100 on Cubase SE, I s'pose (ASIO). But every program has a procedure you have to learn, and an interface to get used to.

If you're willing to spend a little $, try a book about Cool Edit Pro. There are a couple around, and one called 'Cool Edit Pro 2.0 In Use' is real good for the software's procedures as far as button-pushing, etc. Another one by a guy named 'Riley'... Ask at Barnes & Noble, one of those places.

The point is to make music- but when you get into the DAW trip, there's a learning curve. Just get through it- you'll find the clean, shiny result's are worth a little trouble!

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Check out Tracktion, now marketed by Mackie. www.mackie.com (follow the links for "software"). You can download a free trial version to see if you like it. Easiest recording program to use I've seen, and not at all the least powerful.
  4. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 and have no complains withe the program.
  5. JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    If you have a Mac, Garageband is the best I have seen for the money.
  6. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I use cuebase SX. I also use a MOTU 8 channel sound card. I went from tape and analog mixing to digital mixing and it's made me wonder why I waited so long. Cuebase is a powerful tool.