What's the most sturdy, reliable bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Sep 21, 2005.

1. What, in your opinion, are some of the most sturdy and reliable basses on the market? Basses with necks that won't warp and electronics that won't die mysteriously?

To put it differently, if you had to go on tour but could bring only one bass, what would it be?
  2. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Considering the longevity of the Fender P-bass design and the fact that so many of the old ones are still in service, the answer is obvious. Its simplicity contributes to its reliability.
  3. I don't know about other brands but I can vouche for Fenders. I have a usa deluxe jazz and on more than several occasions I, like any legitimate rockstar, practiced whipping it around my body and all that, sending my bass on a 20 foot journey onto the concrete. Except for a minor ding on the headstock everything was perfect. Fenders are tanks, but make sure your straplocks are equally as good!
  4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    a passive Fender with straplocks. Great sound, simple design and electronics, sturdy and reliable.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    About a year or so ago, I started a thread about basses that could take a beating and still keep playing; even playing well.

The bass that got mentioned the most as the sturdiest bass that could survive major abuse and still play well was the MusicMan Stingray.
  6. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Exactly... No worries of dead batteries to replace. They're basic, reliable, strong, and weather like a baseball glove.
  7. I was also thinking P-bass and StingRay when I started the thread. :)

Any other 'war machines'? :cool:
  8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Having only owned one StingRay at a time, I can throw my hat in the ring. I have never owned a backup and have never needed one.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    FWIW, My MIM Jazz bass (decked out) has been dropped, consistently left in the car (hot, humid San Antonio weather) and has been generally abused by me....

This bass holds tune and sounds like a million bucks. This neck hasn't warped YET! :D This bass has made me a lot of money.

Once my JO 5 string Lakland USA is finished being built, I won't abuse it, that's for sure....
  10. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    I'd think the obvious answer would be anything made with graphite, eg. Steinberger or Status Graphite basses.
  11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    if I had to choose one that would do the job, take a beating, sound good and rely on it not to get ill... Fender P-Bass

i've had mine for 13 years now, it's been played a lot and it hasn't needed so much as a truss-rod tweak or an action adjustment... put it this way, it'd probably survive a full scale rock n roll tour better than me :)
  12. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    A stingray or a bongo.
    anything EBMM makes is sturdy and reliable. never had one problem.
  13. For neck stability, graphite is probably unbeatable, but I was asking about the general construction and component quality. A graphite-necked P-bass sure could survive a nuclear war, though!
  14. My Ibanez SR405 has been dropped three times down stairs(twice by my mom, the other by this guy who plays guitar and was walking around without a strap on trying to play it, and it sortof fell out of his hands) and it has no dings on it. Solid bass, got it defretted recently, and apart from a minor tune-up since then has been perfect.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

16. hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    Warwick Thumb Neck Thru - you could do demolition with this bass.
  17. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Fury's. Extremely high grade maple bodies and necks. Out of nearly 12,000 instruments built only 1 has come back with a neck problem (in 1972). Huge high mass trussrods and extremely heavy duty hardware keep everything where it should be. Passive electronics with really really high quality components and top notch soldering and shielding mean that electronic problems just don't happen. I've always brought a backup bass on tour. I've never once needed it after 5 years.

18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    whats that brigde thing?
  19. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    A good old passive fender will last a lifetime. Anything my EBMM would also last, those things are built like tanks.
  20. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ