1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's wrong with Pink Floyd and The Who?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Decoyx7, Jan 13, 2012.

1. All the guys in my band love both Pink Floyd and The Who, but NO ONE will play anything by them together. I don't understand. What's wrong with playing Money or Run Like Hell in front of people? Or Substitute?
    Our drummer is so picky about what we play in front of people as it is, and flat out refuses The Who, eventhough They are one of his main influences and bands.
    And our guitarist has a fit if I suggest sonething from The Wall (or any concept album, really) because "Nothing works with just one song" which I think is just retarded. I don't see what's wrong with playing popular, or basic, or fun sounding songs together that are some of the best and well-known songs in history.

We all are trying to be a unique and different band...but what's wrong?

2. It seems to me that you need to get together with musicians that will play these songs. Maybe they think that Pink Floyd and Who songs are too difficult for them to play.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I play in a Reggae band, and we usually include one or two covers in our set...

...And I refuse to play 99.9% of the Bob Marley songs out there.

To me, coming out and laying down 'no woman no cry' or 'stir it up' is just a big ol' hokey cliche.

The only one I will willingly play is Concrete Jungle...

4. thegoodfunk

thegoodfunk

Sep 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Bassist: www.acidicband.com Luthier: Good Funk Guitar Craft
    If you are taking this seriously then its better business to have as many covers as possible. having even a full set or two of covers make it easier to play bars and build the fan base. Plus if you can play a few sets at a bar you can usually get paid pretty damn well.

"People will give you their money if you perform for them, just ask."

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    There is nothing wrong with playing Pink Floyd or The Who, but I'll suggest if you are going to play it, make sure you play it right.

6. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    That's good advice. Playing songs from two of the most famous 60's/70s rock groups is a stout mark to hit and hit well. Granted, I know nothing about your band, you very well might have the musicianship to pull it off really well, but there might be some cause for your bandmates hesitation. On guitar, Hendrix is a huge influence on me and how I play. I love "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" but I don't play it out because I don't feel like I can do it appropriate justice. Maybe that's where your friends are coming from. Best of luck to ya though!

7. I don't play in a reggae band, but I was playing in a trio most of last year, and our singer/guitarist would pull out No Woman occasionally. I usually play organ with left hand bass for that one - it's such an awesomely beautiful song, I can't ever think of it as a cliche. If you can get past all the associations and connotations that a song might have, and play it for what it is, then there are no more cliches.

And we just did a slow blues version of Ice Ice Baby last night, so I know what I'm talking about!

8. Yeah, you don't want to commit this sort of sin: Worst Band Ever Butchers Pink Floyd - YouTube

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm not sure why. I don't play Pink Floyd because I have played mostly in trios, but I've played a number of Who songs. I know this will bring out the "note for note" police, but **opinion alert** I have found that most people just want to hear the song well played. I don't hit every note that Entwistle hits, but I've never had anyone complain (including fellow musicians) and I've had a lot of people say they love hearing Who songs.

My current group is starting to work on The Real Me. I don't expect to hit every note, but I will try to hit the important ones. :D

Another opinion - most bands play it too safe. Go out on a limb once in a while. You'll fall flat on your face sometimes, but if you play 39 songs great and throw in one rotten egg, you'll still be fine. And occasionally you'll hit it out of the park and THAT'S what the audience will remember.

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What makes those bands so good is that they make the music sound much easier to play than it really is. Especially that Pink Floyd stuff - atypical chord progressions and at times different meters.

11. Seconded, and throw the Beatles in there as well.

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1
    I guess that applies to all Iconic bands. I think there are plenty of bands whose music you can freely take liberties with, but when youre dealing with the bands at the top of the pyramid, misrepresenting them can be a big disservice for your band.

Now, Im not saying that one shouldnt take liberties with the Iconic bands music, but if you do, do it well, and be prepared to be judged by your interpretation.

13. Bam—you nailed it. My jazz trio farts around with Beatles/Floyd/Zep, but we don't unleash it on the unsuspecting public until we're satisfied with our interpretation and the performance is polished. To date, we have done precisely zero unleashing. The unsuspecting public is pleased with this choice.

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    We've done some great versions of some Stones songs, and we pull off Another Brick in The Wall or Comfortably Numb without a hitch.
    Though, I really regret the one time we did While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It wasnt horrible, but certainly less than stellar.

15. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Exodus?????????????????

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Yep because its cliche and your drummer doesn't want to be dipped in cheese.
    Otherwise its no different then Led Zepp or Beatles covers.

Everyone has the right to play them, but its a good way to set yourself up for failure.

maybe your drummer knows he cant touch a WHO cover, and knows his band mates cant either.
    Not saying you guys suck, but Some bands are legends and in the rock n roll hall of fame for a reason.........they are untouchable
    music wise, and trying to emulate it, is a setup for losing interest from your audience. since their only comparison is the perfect radio version they have been hearing for 30 + years.

17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Playing great songs is dipping yourself in cheese? Setting yourself up for failure? By playing versions of
    songs people like to hear?

I don't think your post could be any more wrong.

18. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    If you want to risk playing something that iconic, set the audience's expectations in advance with a humorous self-deprecating introduction like "We're gonna give this song a shot even though we're not worthy!" or something like that. If you can't say that with sincerity, be prepared for a fail.

19. Off the top of my head, I can remember playing the following in cover bands:

"Dirty Woman," "Can't Explain," and The Who version of "Summertime Blues."

If you play stuff like "Substitute" or "Money" you may be appreciated by the classic rock fans in their seats, but I can almost guarantee no one's going to dance.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Agreed. I understand the setting yourself up for failure remark, as it goes along with what I was saying. Though, it only applies if your band cannot do the songs justice.
    IMO, no bands are untouchable, especially to a coverband, becuase thats the music people who see coverbands want to hear.
    It comes down to can you perform the song well, or not. If not, dont bother.