What's wrong with simplicity?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Let me tell you somthing, if you're playing all 4-5-7-8 of them strings, the song you're playing more than likley sucks. I found my pick. Give me the root notes, please. I can't play by ear, but I sure do think I can rock out to whatever the other members of my band are playing.

Technique? Theory? Huh? What are these? I just want to see people dance.
  2. *extents right arm, extends right-index finger*

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Dave Riley ate Jacos brains!!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you can't play by ear how do you figure out what to play?

Just curious.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with simplicity. Especially in music. A simple but catchy musical statement is usually what musicians strive for. However, as one gains experience, curiousity takes over and exploration and questions develope.

By all means play what you enjoy, but don't think that complicated or sophisitcated music and multi-stringed instruments can't rock.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    This is said with nothin but love, and not meant to offend you.

If you're playing as you put it "all 4-5-7-8 of them strings" (which should be "those strings") Then chances are pretty good that the bassist playing them usually knows what he/she is doing. Especially on the etended range basses with 6 or more strings.

I find it hard to believe that you are seeing people dancing if you're "rockin out" just riding root notes, and dont know what technique or theory is.

However I do feel simplicity is sometimes the best form of expression. But c'mon, just riding out roots is too simple.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Like this:

"Whoa dude slow down! Oh, can you tuurn around so I can see where your hands are on your neck? WAIT! Ahhh stop! Can you play that again!? Uhm... what note is that? Oh, Uh.... What fret is E?"

8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Isnt he joking? Why are you all taking him seriously?
  9. NO offense but this seems to be a joke..

First of all.. the subjetc is completely falacious. You're not exposing any example of anyone saying that simplicity is wrong.. but still you're saying that complexity (in some way) is wrong.. "more than likely sucks".

Also using all strings in a 5, 6 or + string bass, doesn't necesarily mean it will sound complex.

Besides.. not everyone plays with your band, and can rock out to what they're playing.. Some people in here need to know theory and have good technique to fulfill their place in their job, band, or whatever.. Some have very serious positions whether in bands or in a studio, and t knowing technique and theory and having an instrument with enough range and knowing how to take music out if all it's range, is important for keeping those jobs and positions.

SO if nobody said anything against you, what's your argument about?
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I play root/5th bass lines on my 19 string bass all day. Thats pretty simple. :D
  11. Hihi, gotta' see how this continues...
  12. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    I agree. In fact I don't even use frets, I make my band play everything using only E (whatever that means, you know the top one). I find that playing this way really frees me up to meet women on the dance floor.

Now if I could only earn enough money to buy a delay pedal with infinite play back so I only have to hit the string once for each song.

Simplicity forever.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Simplicity is great, in the right situation.

If you want to put yourself in a box, good for you! That's your decision.

Just don't expect me to get in there with you.
  14. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    all my lines sound like this except over and over with little variation :(

A - 554547 554540 554547 007450
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    simplicity for simplicity's sake is just as misguided and potentially unmusical/unartistic as complexity for complexity's sake.

music is emotional statement. say what you gotta say, and remember the delivery is just as important as the message.
  16. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    This is the truth.
  17. BOING!!!

There's the bull's eye. ;)

If the bassline fits, wear it.

Mike ;)
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. Read JT's post again too.
  19. nothing