1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your biggest grammatical pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    So, what example of bad grammar gets on your nerves for no good reason?

Mine is, without a doubt, the use of "different than" instead of "different from."

"Different" functions like "separate," except you never hear fluent English speakers using a sentence like "They are separate than each other."

"Than" is used in comparing things where there is some definite standard of comparison, e.g. "taller than," "nearer than," "larger than," etc. "Different" doesn't compare things, it just establishes that there is a difference, like the aforementioned "separate" establishes a separation. Would it be odd to hear someone say that they have to keep their pets separate than each other? "Different than" sounds exactly the same way, except it is becoming very common.

[/rant]

2. alot

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

peeple who cant spel youse proper grammer and liketo type in long runon sintenses with no punchuayshun and wonder randomly from won ubnrleated topic to another without seeming to realise it and who can't bothre to use a good spoll and grammur chking progarm and stuff like that reely irrutate the crap out of me and stuff you know

4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Where to start? It seems as if fewer and fewer people are able to use English correctly. How about "there's too many" instead of "there are too many"? Don't get me started on punctuation, spelling and "texting" contractions/abbreviations.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    My biggest grammatical pet peeve is that <--error someone will almost always point out the mistake. :eek:

Honestly, I don't have any peeves regarding punctuation. It does bother me when words are purposely misspelled and caps are purposely left out, due to laziness or the need to feel "hip".

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

7. whatev

Mike

8. +2

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    -I hate the whole "alot" "allot" thing as opposed to "a lot"
    -then there's the leaving out the "d" in "suppose" or "use" instead of using "supposed" or "used" ex - I'm suppose(D) to go to the store tomorrow like we use(D) to.
    -the the bizarre "noone" as opposed to no one.

10. "the the"

i hate dat to

Mike

11. "Yous". Such as; "What would yous like for dinner tonight?" Drives me crazy. For punctuation, I hate it when people put a space before a period, or any other form of punctuation that doesn't require one.

lowsound

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    +1 ;)

13. pronouncing "nuclear" as "nuke-ya-ler"

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Hold on now... that's actually proper New Jersey English!

ahh fuggetaboutit..

15. Stigs

Stigs

Sep 29, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Nothing from conversation pops into my head, but a few online or otherwise written ones do come to mind, such as:

Your/You're
    Saying "should of ..." instead of "should have ..."
    Massive walls of text

16. their, they're and there
    two, to and too
    your, you're and yore
    then and than

... ummmm ...

I, eye and aye! :smug:

17. affect/effect

18. jealous/envious
    accept/except
    whether/weather/wether

19. Missusing homophones and double negatives.