1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your biggest grammatical pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Take the nut off of the P :bag:

:D

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

What do you have to type on your phone to make these smilies show up?

3. The usual codes....why?

Also, on that note, italics, bold and all those fonts don't show on my phone.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Was your phone made before 1992?

Vintage_Cell.

5. No, just badly set-up. The manual might as well be written in Klingon for all I understand.

6. Drop the word "of". It is unnecessary. "Get the cat off the counter", makes just as much sense, and doesn't sound as clumsy.

lowsound

7. It's not the dropping of 'of' (or is it 'off of'? :D) that's confusing, it's putting it there in the first place that's surreal at times :confused:

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Thinking that "definitely" is spelled "definately."

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The proper use of good and well.

10. You're/Your

11. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    When people start an answering sentence with "yeah no" followed by a pause and a non-commital answer.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    lmfao!!!! where did you get that one?!? :D

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The only thing that really annoys me is how here in Flanders, they're trying to replace the word 'kinderen' with the English translation 'kids'.

You get commercials like 'Zorg ervoor dat je kids gezond zijn' (Make sure your kids are healty) etc. I don't have problems with using English loanwords if they stand for something new, and I use a lot of English (swear)words myself, but what's wrong with 'kinderen'?

It's such an intimate word, like mother, father, etc.

Other than that I don't really care how people speak. I have more issues with language nazis than with people who use nonstandard forms.

14. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    teh grammer policies in teh infonets.

15. Your and You're

(Keith beat me to it.)

16. This is one that as a linguist and multi-linguist I try and avoid. It's not only annoying to actually hear, it's a mark of good language skills to be able to use more than one word for things AND use something that sounds remotely like the actual language I'm speaking.

'Un mp3 player' was one I'd heard recently- I would have used 'lecteur mp3' or 'baladeur mp3'.

17. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    Capitalization in general. Beginning of the sentence or other wise. It annoys me to no end when people don't capitalize when it's needed. Even in text messages. That, and using numbers in place of words (like 2 for to or too, and 4 for for). In texts, it's Iunderstandable if it's a long text, but when typing an e-mail, posts in a message board, or even IM I find it annoying. I'm not the best speller in the world so spelling errors don't bother me unless it's a word that almost impossible to misspell.

18. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    :scowl: Orientated :rollno:

19. Deliberate missppellings in adverts...there is NOTHING worse than a product being advertised and then they muck it up with deliberate and 'cool' misspellings.

20. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Ohhhhh, me too!:scowl: