1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your biggest grammatical pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    -Double negatives
    -Adding an apostrophe for the posessive form of "it"
    -Placing the comma outside of the quotation marks of a phrase when the subject is at the end of the sentence (i.e., "The cat's downstairs", said Martha, instead of the correct way: "The cat's downwstairs," said Martha)

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    "Seen" used as a preterite instead of "saw".

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    no mention of..
    gangstabonics ?

Fo' shizzle !

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D LOL

i miss your teaching blog :(

btw, get ready for iphone os3 announcements today :D

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I seen what you did there.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    "could of" instead of "could have"

but the worst thing to me is the improper use of you're / your

"your gay" :rollno:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was listening to the radio today and somrbody was talking about the concept of "Gaia" (Lovelock etc) - but he was pronouncing it "gayer" - I thought he was trying to be insulting to the interviewer....:p

As in : you're gayer than a [insert camp thing]....;)

8. I don't like when people use "well" instead of "good" because they are so terrified of using "good" as an adverb, that they use "well" as an adverb and as an adjective. By the way, it's perfectly okay to say "I am good" as well as "I am well."

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

As applied to human beings :

Well = healthy and fit
    Good = angelic, pure in heart etc!! :p

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My biggest grammatical pet peeve is

-people *****ing about what are in fact completely normal developments and evolutions in natural spoken languages (I'm not talking about improper spelling, internet lingo, although these things are often reflections of spoken language).

-the same people linking the utterance of these 'abnormalities' to the utterer's intelligence (or the imagined lack thereof).

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't even know what you're saying. :eyebrow:

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ask Fassa, she's a linguist, too :D

13. "pacific" instead of specific

14. Egads!!! People don't actually say that do they? I can see it if one was under four years of age but after that, chinese water torture or needles under the fingernails to correct that nonsense.

15. I've known two people in my work who have said this. One of whom I work with now!

+10 for the word, Egads instead of OMFG or ROTFL or ***.

16. Graft instead of Graph. That's a good one.

17. Athleticism. Don't know if that applies here or not, and I can't even remember if I mentioned it before, but if so it is worth repeating. I hate that "word".

18. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Granite.

I actually hear people start sentences this way. "Well, granite, I did do poorly in school, but..."

Then there's the only slightly less stupid version. Grant it. "Well, grant it, you do know more about grammar than I do..."

A good friend once spent weeks arguing with his college roommate over whether it should be "granted" or "grant it" and the eventually agreed to disagree.

There’s a local radio guy that says “grant it” on the radio, now granted – he is the buffoon of the program and nobody thinks of him as intelligent, but it still drives me nuts to hear “grant it” on the radio.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That concludes our monthly TB grammar whining thread.

Now back to your 4 string vs. 6 string debates.

bc

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    One should never take concrete for granite. :D