1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your biggest grammatical pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    As reading recedes into being a specialized skill many people are on their own when trying to spell what they hear. "You're" sounds the same as "your", "they're" sounds the same as "their". The logical difference is moot. On teh interwebz a select picture is accepted as a valid response (we see this on TB too). No further argumentation need be attached, and the skill of decoding the intended message in a particular image constitutes a metalanguage that brings us around to pictograms - the beginnings of writing. Strange.

2. And could someone please explain the recent fad of pronouncing 'what', 'why' and 'way' as 'hwat', 'hwy' and 'hway' ?! :confused:

3. it's because progress stopped around the invention of television and leaf blowers. We recede more quickly than we develop.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yep. Those are top of my list.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Effect vs affect

6. Right, translation for Maki's benefit:

Languages change ALL the time and the more successful languages are constantly changing. English is a prime example as it's moving all the time and has always been able to accommodate loanwords/foreign terms. Compare different periods in English literature and you'll see.

A few examples include the dropping of archaic terms such as 'lest' and 'thee/thou/thine/thee' (and variants)from the language and the gain of loanwords such as 'chav' (from Romany), 'algebra' (Arabic) and 'vehement' (from Latin).

So it is wrong to say that any such development in language is in anyway wrong or degrading to the language, simply because a naturally evolving language SHOULD change.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What she said ^^

:D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Do you live in Newcastle ...?:eyebrow:

9. No, Fassa does :D

But I'll take that as a compliment on my English :)

I live in Belgrade so English is far from my native tongue but I've never heard British English being spoken that way, only American.

'This video is not available in your country'

And they keep us in the dark...

10. alot

+ a lot

11. seen vs. saw

yeah, i seen him the other day.

gah!!

12. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    IMO, there's still a difference between "the language is evolving" and "your grammar is terrible." At what point does a grammatical error become so commonplace that its ubiquity legitimizes it?

13. The Geordie language is probably one of the biggest crimes against grammar.

Here's an example (with some swearing unfortunately)-

The film, Purely Belter, is about two Newcastle fans trying to get season tickets.