1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your favorite(s) repeating rhythm?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Doc Blue, Aug 7, 2019.

1. For those of you that like to play repeating rhythms or collections thereof during jams, basic 12-bar blues, or some R&B improv, what are your favorites?

2-bar, 4-bar, minor variations as song progresses, turn-arounds, all welcome for discussion. Looking at rhythms, notes are a bonus. Thinking notation, 1e&a descriptions, audio samples, etc. to describe.

What do you like to groove to?

2. I'll start. Simple alternative to straight quarter notes. I think the notation is correct. Have been playing this with a variation or two under the minor pentatonic scale.
    rhythm1.

Torrente Cro likes this.
  3. Maybe hitting 4 bars with A minor can liven up the party :smug:.
    I realize this is simple stuff, my old arthritic fingers don't move as fast as they used to.
    a minor.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

At work, no access to a program to write the notes ( big brother is ever mindful! ) but I really enjoy Massive Attacks Safe From Harm. The repeating line is of course "borrowed" from Billy Cobhams Stratus.

Best I can cobble together :)

in 4/4

G|---------------------------------------------------|
    D|---------------------------------------------------|
    A|-----2-0-2-----0-2-2-0---2-0-2-----0-2-2-0---|
    E|------------2----------------------2--------------|

TheDirtyLowDown and Doc Blue like this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    The Bo Diddley Beat.

My favourite example...

delta7fred and Doc Blue like this.
  6. Understand the big brother thing...

I listened to a youtube clip. Cool rhythm. I completely suck at 1/16th notes, but cool rhythm. :cool:

Funky Ghost likes this.
  7. Wagnerian triplets.

8. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    For me, the “Classic Rhythm”, as Ed Friedland calls it.

The dotted quarter/eighth note combination.

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal

Bembé

Party for the fun of the orishas, the gods belonging to the Yoruba religion. In this festival, different types of percussion instruments are sung, danced and played. During a bembé the Orishas are praised, greeted and implored to join the party by riding (possession through the trance) one of their priests present. This is done through a confluence of song, rhythm and movement, calling the orisha so that they will recognize themselves in the lyrics, rhythms and dances that have been performed for them for perhaps thousands of years.
    Rhythms play an important part in this equation and drummers practice assiduously for years in order to play the intricate rhythms correctly. This is important because the drums actually speak to the Orishas because the Yoruba language is tonal, and the drums have been tuned so that they play the different tonalities of the Yoruba language. For this reason some rhythms are never played unless it is within a religious context or would offend the orisha. These rhythms are actually prayers to the Orishas, each orisha having its own rhythms associated with them. Dance also becomes prayer within the religious context of a bambé. The movements of the dances are the same movements that have been associated with the Orishas for thousands of years.
    As with the rhythms that are played with the drums, each orisha has its own dance, the dance of Yemayá emulates the movement of the waves, the dance of Oggún the cut with the machete, the dance of Oshún represents the way in which she makes herself dressed in front of the hand mirror, etc. Therefore, these movements become more danceable prayers than what Western Europeans would refer to as a dance.
    Everything that is present in a bembé, be it songs, dances, rhythms or colors that are used, is part of an intricate web of prayers, greetings, prayers and calls to the Orishas, asking them to be present and calling the Orishas to be with us.
    In Afro Latin Drum Machine you can find up to 8 variations of the Bembé rhythm

Oddly likes this.
  10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anything that could be called a samba.

Doc Blue likes this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A tie between New Orleans second line and the waltz.

Doc Blue likes this.
  12. ^^^ makes me think of Blue Danube that I first heard when I was in single digits, watching cartoons on Saturday morning :D

13. Some definite groove music there! Just as much fun watching the people dance as it is to play :)

14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm with you on that, @Oddly. I can keep that going all night if I had to!

Oddly likes this.
  15. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    I really love Lee Sklar's repeating groove in Stratus.
    Try it for a while -- it's quite a workout... :)

foal30, Doc Blue and Funky Ghost like this.
  16. I like that one, great song :thumbsup:

17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    “Here’s your paycheck
    Here’s your paycheck
    Here’s your paycheck
    Here’s your paycheck ...”

18. Headboard bang.

Doc Blue and JimK like this.