Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whee!!! F Bass Ordered

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasabi1264, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I finally pulled the trigger on a BN5. Ever since playing a BN6 back in November, I've just been wanting one more and more, and I spent a lot of time with them at NAMM (both at the show and at LA Bass Exchange).

Anyway, I just put a deposit down. Pretty much a stock BN5...no top or options, except a custom finish that I hope will turn out well...

I was looking for something unique, and I started analyzing various burst colors that F and other builders offered. My favorite finish that George does is the neon-burst, but George informed me that the pink tends to fade a bit, so I was thinking about changing the pink color. Also, a burst I kind of like is the green/blue burst that Pedulla has.

Anyway, playing around with the color wheel, I realized something that could be really cool would be an orange to purple burst. I know it sound bizarre, but when I created a representation of it in an image editor, I was struck by how classy it looked. Kind of like an antique burst with no brown in it...a more cheerful looking burst, but not all whacked out and radical like you might expect.

Well, George is willing to do it, so here's hoping it turns out okay. I asked Adrian to have George call me just before it goes into paint to make sure I really want to do it!

2. Congrats, hope it will be stunning, you're trying something you are courageous...

Vince

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Welcome to the club!! (Well, in a few months when your bass is done.)

You won't regret it!

4. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, Eric...It's YOUR BN6 that put me in the club!! Kickin' bass. Great seeing you at NAMM.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    INSANE! Sound KILLER! It'll be awesome, I can't wait to see pics. will it be a bright orange? 9say yes :p)

6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    sounds killer. ive always wanted to have/see a f bass in backward ceruse. trans white with black grain!

cant waitto see this colour combo

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've always thought that orange & purple go together very well.

Here's an orange & purple shirt. I know, it's not a bass, but maybe it shows that orange & purple do complement each other (and that I'm not the only one to think so).

[​IMG]

I queried on "orange purple" at images.google.com and came up with 27,500 hits, so hopefully this combo will work for you. :)

8. Wow, that is such a great idea. That would be stunning.

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wasabi - I think that'll look sweet, like a funky sunset. I'd imagine it'd look sweet on an F too. I think a fancy top or ceruse would take away from your 'burst.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Marshall

10. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Thank you all for the encouragement. It's a bit scary, given how much $$ goes into a bass like this, and I've searched a long time for a bass I want to keep for many years. So, we'll see if my courage fails me when it's time to commit to the paint. I do agree a fancy top isn't needed. Not even sure if enhanced grain is.

As far as the orange, I'm not thinking of flourescent orange, but more of a straight up orange, but going to a very dark purple. We'll see what George thinks (other than that I'm out of my mind).

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Been there, seen it, looks fantastic.

Wasabi: That finish sounds spectacular! I can't wait :D.

12. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    After i read your post, i cant help to rush to photoshop to do a quick test.. wow.. it will be wonderful.
    so did you do that custom order thu Adrian? how much total you are paying for that .. because i am going for a F as well...

13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    wow, that does look whicked!

14. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    hey guys,excuse for the quality.. this is a quick visual match. but i find that the pS machine that i used shown a darker purple.... so dont be serious about my funky pic, but i am sure purple will go happy with orange...

:hyper:

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! That's like a tye-dye with an attitude!!

I love it!

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Now that's a wicked color combo!

This isn't helping my F GAS at all! :D

17. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    yeah, i better work real hard so i can order all the famous bass with those colour.. it will be a real cool collection

i want to see the real F.. and i want to own one too.... :crying:

18. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I dig the color choice! And hey, purple and orange are the hottest colors in the NBA this year...

[​IMG]

I have a Sadowsky PJ-5 with a gorgeous quilted top that I ended up having done natural in the center and purple on the outside. Never seen anything like it, but purple is just so cool with warm colors.

I'm about to take the F-Bass plunge myself! Going for a light blue metallic finish that I fell in love with at the show. Just gotta find the right dealer now.

19. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    It's gonna be interesting! I really wonder what exact tints he'll use...I'm envisioning a dark purple instead of a bright one, but I'm going to kind of leave it to him.

I did order through Adrian, and it's just the standard cost of a custom color...something like 400-500, which is a lot for paint, but that's what you get when you want something unique. So since the only option is the finish, we're looking at about $3K.

Dang...please keep up the good vibes. You all made me feel much better about my whacked ideas.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Order through Adrian Garcia. He's a great guy, and Wasabi seems to have done well through him :D.

Wasabi: FBasses are fantastic. Great call. I saw one in action during the summer, and...well, let's just say it's been on the backburner of my mind as a "to get before I die" thing.