1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When did you realize you were a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Frety_Kruger, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Frety_Kruger

Frety_Kruger Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2020
    When did you realize you were a bass player?
    For me im the classic example of just not being good enough. I remember getting an electric guitar because I loved Dimebag Darrell and I wanted to play like him. Then I realized I could spend 1000 years of my time and never get that good.
    I can't lie no bass player inspired me to pick up a bass. I picked one up because I sucked at guitar lmao
    (Not saying bass is easier to learn either so relax lol )
    Bass came alot more naturally to me and I feel like I understood the instrument and its place in the music a little better. Just my reality would love to hear yours!!
    Cheers

2. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    I started out playing guitar at 12. When I thought my guitarist was better than me at the 6 string I volunteered to be our bassist. We did well and I enjoyed it. I sold it when we split up. I played drums in another band after that for a few years. My hands really missed playing bass so I bought a cheap Ibanez 5 string just to play at night for enjoyment. Now I’m reunited with that guitar player in another band and I feel I am a better bassist now than I ever was when I played every single day. Within just a few weeks of getting that Ibanez I could do things I couldn’t do before in all the previous years. I have a nice big Trace Rig, an Elite Jazz and a new Ric and I couldn’t be happier. I never gave up guitar. I own several and can play Jimmy Page like nobody’s business.

3. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    I realized I was a bass player before I ever played bass. Meaning, when I discovered Rush in 1987 I realized I was listening and humming the bass parts. Yes , I must play this stuff I thought , and so it began....

4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Similarly, from a young age, I was drawn to the bass parts. I’d speed up the records to make the bass parts pop out more.

My dad had a nylon string guitar that I began messing with.

My parents tried to get me to take guitar lessons when I was 14-15, but I just taught myself the bass parts to songs I heard, using my two fingers instead of the pick.

After a few months I convinced them to rent me a bass, and it was “off to the races”.

5. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    When my best friend next door got a guitar for Christmas, I had to ask for a bass for my twelfth birthday.

6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    When multiple projects were held up due to the lack of a bass player.

7. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I played tuba in high school and could not pick up guitar very effectively. Then, I got a Washburn Force 40 and a Boston album that's that.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    When I did a gig with "grownups".

I started in jazz band in high school. That, of course, pointed me to garage bands with kids my age. I did a few shows with various bands.

But then I got a call from the guy who lived behind us, who grew up with my mother. He played in a cover/bar band. Their bass player had quit on a Tuesday and they needed a fill-in for the weekend.

I got a crash course at the guitar players house for a few days. When I got up on stage in a bar at 16 years old with a bunch of players twice my age or more, I knew I was going to be doing this as part of my life from then on. And, so far, it's been true for well over three decades.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    First time I saw the Minutemen. I had a bass and I was playing. But that’s when I dug my heels in.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Haifa, Israel

It was days before a boat sank & killed many sailors:

At Least 19 U.S. Sailors Dead as Boat Capsizes Off Haifa

in another coincidental twist, I received a new Black Sabbath album for xMas that year & a killer track on there is Jerusalem:

I was in Jerusalem (& Bethlehem) on 25-Dec!

11. dpaul

dpaul

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    Hearing the bass parts and sound in several prog /hard rock bands; Yes, Rush, ELP...I was drawn to the sound of the bass. I knew that’s what I wanted to do

12. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I picked up a vinyl copy of Led Zeppelin II at 10 years old

13. Horseflesh

Horseflesh

Sep 22, 2020
    Seattle-ish
    Count me as one of those who always naturally hummed along with the bass. But I got a bass and a guitar at the same time this year and spend about the same amount of time studying each. If I stick with it, probably the bass will come out on top.

But my wife started at the same time, and she very much prefers the bass... I even had to buy her one of her own... so I might be forced to be the guitarist.

("Be the guitarist." Hah. It honestly feels like it will take a million years to learn to play that thing, but only half a million for the bass.)

BVo, leftybass54, Timmy Liam and 2 others like this.
  14. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    I became a bassist because it was the shortest path between me and being in a band...

Way back in the mid 80's I had a colleague at work who was (and still is) a great blues guitar player. He had moved to my town for work, and said he wanted to put a band together. I was a decent guitar player but not in his league. So I said "I'll play bass." I went and bought a a used 78 P-bass (about $400 or so), borrowed an amp, and listened to a bunch of blues records. We found a friend of a friend who played hamonica and sang. Then we put up a flyer at the local music store looking for a drummer, and the first guy who showed up was a seriously good Berklee grad; I couldn't believe it. Anyway, from that first practice with butterflies in my stomach I knew this was where I could fit in.

I think that's it: I LOVE playing music in a band, and bass is the way i can fit in, given that I'm an average guitarist, mediocre at best on keys, a fair-to-middling banjoist and a wanna-be pedal steel player. I got away from bass for awhile -- I played banjo and some guitar in a working bluegrass band for about a decade or so, but then I got the call from some friends in a country band, and away I went... Now I'm doing funk/soul/jazz, and that's because the bass connected me to another genre and group of cool people. That's why I dig it, and that's why I'm a bassist.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Glenn Mac, Geo Monty, BVo and 5 others like this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    8th grade ‘93. Went to some music store in Lodi with my friend Byron so he could buy some strings for his Jackson Dinky. I hadn’t even seen a bass before. Loved Metallica, Megadeth, and Rush at the time. Knew I dug the “bass sound”. Guitar was impossible. Anyways, on a corner display was a 4 string bass (Jackson P I believe) in white with neon green, yellow and pink spatter paint. Sat down, plugged it in, turned the amp on, and plucked to low E. I INSTANTLY knew, I was meant to play bass. Next year as a freshman in high school I joined the jazz band and borrowed the schools Peavey Fury 4 stringer until I got my first bass (an Aria Pro II) for Christmas. That solidified it. Nothing was even remotely as cool or fun as playing bass. Not. Even. Close.

16. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i always wanted to play music. so i college a friend lent me guitar. I didn't do a thing with it, i maybe touched it twice. went with him to get an amp at guitar center and i was like what the heck is that thing? it was a bass and yes, i had no clue. it was like the heavens parted and God shone his light down on me! i haven't really put it down since. and i actually just restored that very bass.

17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    pretty much from the get-go:D
    My Dad was a working pro in Chicago and would head off to gigs in the evenings dressed in his black & white hauling his URB. It just seemed like what Dads did to me and I knew I wanted to do it too. As soon as I could (barely) get my hand around the neck and play (about 5 years old) I knew that's what I wanted to do. I played a 1/4 size URB starting in 3rd grade in the grade school orchestra and played all UR the way through college and as a young working pro myself. I picked up electric when I was in middle school and eventually stopped hauling the upright, although I can still use it pretty well if called on.

I also sang in choir (and had 14 years of piano training) and by the time I was in highschool I was in the bass section in the choir and that was a great experience too as far as being connected to bass tone/harmony/feeling.

18. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    16 years old. Had been messing around on guitar for less than a year. My friend handed me his bass and cranked up his amp and I was hooked.

DMassarone likes this.
  19. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    1965, when I was 7 years old. My folks got a new Magnavox console stereo and I just loved that "low, deep sound" coming from it. I even asked my parents, "Why can't the car radio sound all deep and low like the radio in our house?" My dad explained what a bass guitar was and I knew right then that's what I wanted to play. Took a few years, but finally got a bass.

Glenn Mac, TH63, Mark Karwan and 4 others like this.
  20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Third Grade. When the orchestra director came around to recruit, I saw the doublebass and I knew.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021