When is a band big enough to hire a manager?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by marineman227, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Ok so we have this website for pretty much anything musical in wisconsin where bands looking for members or gear for sale or wanted or management for sale or wanted or practice space for sale or wanted etc.. but i was just wondering as far as management goes how big do you think a band ought to be before they look at hiring a manager if at all. Should you just keep trying to do your thing until you get picked up by a record label if at all and let them take care of the rest? my band's first practice is tomorrow but i'm trying to step up and learn as much as i can about the behind the scenes and the what to do of the band so i can sort of act as the manager for now.
  2. http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/antigone-rising.htm

Is a very basic overview of how things happen.

IMO when things get too much for you to handle (time wise) is when you need a manager.
    Your band is only starting out right? So right now www.google.com is your best friend. Go look at harmony central at some of the guest articles and see if anything is relevant.
    At the moment I guess i'm pretty much the manager and it isn't a real "role" right now as we aren't doing much. If there's something to book, I just book it. If someone wants to talk to the band alltogether, I organise it. After being friends with people that have been in bands for 20+ years, i'm leaning towards starting my own recording studios/record label for local bands that just want to be heard. Sure, i'll probably lose a truckload of money, but I know what it feels like to not be heard.