When is too much too much

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moma Jones, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ok so Im wondering if I have gone overboard wiht my rig
    At this point I'm running a cirrus bass into a ART all tube preamp into a bbe 422 sonic maximizer into 2 Qsc rmx 850s one is driving a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 the other is running 2 peavey 410 TVX 4 ohm cabinets. Is this a touch overboard or does anyone have a similar sized rig?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Unless you're playing stadiums, you're overdoing it. I bet your bandmates love you.
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. I dont ever drown out my bandbmates
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Seems like a lot to me, but I use a 1X12 cab and can fit my preamp, power amp and effects into a 12" x 12" x 4" briefcase. :smug:
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Don't get me wrong. You're entitled to use whatever and however much gear you want. It's just I've almost never seen a job short of a BIG venue that can't be handled with a decent 4x10, or at most, a 6X10, powered by a nice head.
  7. So Im the only one that uses something this big
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I'd say that's a medium sized rig. If you are going to play outdoors you will need bigger power amps and a couple more cabinets. I used to run two 8x10's with a 4x10 on top of each one and four power amps. Outdoors this was just enough for stage volume. Your rig would probably be enough for a medium sized indoor venue if you had plenty of PA support, like two or three 18 inch subs and a pair of JBL 4735's on each side of the stage. I assume you are playing rock music. If you are just backing up some folk singers, a goofy little combo amp would work. ;)
  9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    If that's the case, how loud are they !? Holy Crap :confused: :eek:
  10. Nope, a lot of people do. Most people don't feel they need to use a lot of cabs at every gig though, it's a lot of carrying, so they choose whichever cab or pair suits the gig. A lot of people love to have lots of power though.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's what PA's are for. A proper PA will send much better sound out to the audience than any on-stage bass rig. Proper PA subs are designed to throw low end long distances, "standard" bass guitar cabinets are not.

Use your gear to hear yourself, and the PA gear for the audience to hear you.
  12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Man your band must be REALLY LOUD!!:eek:
  13. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005

I used to run a decent sized rig.....

I have downsized quite a bit. In my opinion this rig sounds better and is PLENTY loud......

14. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Is an Aguilar DB750... pushing a pair of Bergantinos: NV215 & NV425... too much rig?
  15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'm not sure when "enough" becomes too much, but I'd say that several people who have posted on this thread have crossed that point.

16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The peak of my rig was as follows:

SansAmp RBI & RPM
    BBE Bass Max T
    Line6 Bass POD Pro

Carvin DCM 2000

B210 [8 ohm]
    B212 [4 ohm]

I used this on a few occasions. I never had to have my volume knob past about 3 to be louder than i needed to be.

Now? Out of that rig i've sold the BMax T & B210. The 115H & SansAmps + Carvin are being used by a buddy of mine who more or less replaced me at my old high school. I trust him with my gear.

So here at school all i've got is-a mini recording setup [2 POD Pros, a bass & guitar version], and an SWR WM12.

Yeah-i miss my mega-rig.

Take it easy.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dood, it's all about swinging the biggest hammer.

I run an 810 in my spare bedroom aka music room. And that's just the clean channel.

Horny how do you like that Fender 300? I was looking for a used one for awhile but I found a great deal on a used SVT first. I sorta kinda wanted to have an EQ.
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  19. ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Too much power is called 'headroom'.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No way, eh! Lot's of guys have rigs like that, and even bigger.

You definitely have too much for a small club. Probably just the right amount for a huge outdoor heavy metal gig.