When your D and G strings are louder and more resonant than the lower strings..

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassfacer22, Aug 12, 2017.

1. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

So I reset one of my portable basses, (yes the Eminence portable 5-string bass) after flying back from Amsterdam, and I noticed the D and G-strings are noticeably louder and resonate/vibrate more than the lower strings. Would that be something from the SoundPost?

My sound-post is closer now to the center of the bass, rather than being closer to the Treble side foot.

It's still closer to the Treble side foot than the Bass foot, but it's been moved slightly closer to the Center of the bass. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Can you move the post back to where it was?

3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Brilliant, Steve!

PauFerro and bskts247 like this.
  4. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    When you move the post away from the foot, you allow more top vibration, I expect even more if you move off-axis relative to the top grain.

Off-axis is less desirable as it allows more distortion of the top, right?

5. Don Kasper

This may sound a bit harsh, but it really needs to be said -
    You moved your soundpost to a new location and glued it in, BEFORE you had determined if it was in a sonically pleasing position?
    th?id=OIP.Bjrbtcqo8vogWXk2AuE6HAFNC7&pid=15.

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    If the post is glued, how could it shift? Is the bridge in the right place? I'd consult the maker before I did anything drastic.

7. Don Kasper

You can open a "Bubba Gump's Bass Shop"!
    Good Luck to you.

8. bassfacer22

Sorry I mean the luthier will make one for me.

Hey I'm paying money to luthiers right so it's a win in their field.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Soundpost aside, when I have dealt with these issues in the past and speaking for pizz response, I always left the post where it was and approached the problem one of two ways:

1) stiffer/heavier strings on the lacking register
    2) bridge adjustment - either via adjusters or by cutting the bridge profile more to my liking - to get the lacking strings up higher in relation to the stronger strings.

I have never once been happy about a soundpost adjustment. This doesn't mean that the luthiers have done them wrong; it just means that I get used to a certain feel from the bass and strings and when the soundpost is moved everything always feels out of whack. String gauge and height don't seem to affect the general feel of the instrument in the same way - it still feels like the same axe with different grips on the handle. As always EEMMV.

Earl and Reiska like this.
  10. bassfacer22

Yeah Actually I currently am trying the solo Spiro (yellow color) gauge on top 4 and the low-B is a Spiro Red..

But the G is still too loud compared to all the other strings.

Remember, this sound post and bass is smaller than a cello's soundpost. Its like 3-inch sound post. So it's basically just really not fun to get in there and move it. But in this case, I'd just be cutting it out and putting in a new one in a different spot..

Can you not Delete threads at all? I see no need for this thread anymore.