Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHERE ARE THE MIDS?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZOPHAR, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ZOPHAR

ZOPHAR

Oct 1, 2003
    SCHOHARIE, NY
    Hi Folks!
    Looking for some constructive feedback!
    I am presently playing a YAMAHA TRB6 with YAmaha active pickups.
    My amp is a Peavey Mark VIII XP and I am using a SWR Goliath III and an 400 watt EV 18" Subwoofer.
    My problem is that bassists nightmare death nell to quality bass sound!
    I have plenty of depth, punch and pop on my B, E,& A strings.
    When I get to the D string it starts to fade , and the G and C string fade proportionately leaving me an ugly thin sound in the upper registers.
    Any suggestions on curing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    I am at wits end!
    Thanks!
    Dick :help:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try experimenting with the pickup distance (to the strings).

3. You asked for constructive criticism!

First of all its, "knell" as in "death knell," instead of the non-talking Jodie Foster character of the movie of the same name. :D

Secondly, and more importantly, you also may want to check the action on those offending strings, see if they're a bit higher than they should be, taking more energy to fret and keeping them higher away from the pickups.

Just a thought.

4. Try raising the treble-side of the pickups....you have single coils, right? If you do, single coils are excellent with mids...have you tried boosting the treble and mid frequencies on your bass? You also might want to try changing your battery too...

5. ZOPHAR

ZOPHAR

Oct 1, 2003
    SCHOHARIE, NY
    Hi Folks!
    Thanks for the help!!!
    Here is the plan:
    1) I will change the battery (and the strings) as suggested by
    BassnSax. I have adjusted the mid boost knob, and equalizer settings repeatedly trying to fix the problem, but to no good result. :rolleyes:
    2) I will try to strike a happy medium between lowering the action of the G and C strings, and raising the pickups on that side as suggested in some combination by all.
    By the way GB "death knell" needs closed quotes. Damn spell checkers have made me lazy.:D
    Actually it is a "death nell" as the strings are almost as mute as the Jodi Foster character. ;)
    Thanks to all!!!!!!
    If anyone has any suggestions that are different than these I would love to read them.
    Thanks again
    Dick Sherman

6. Try some different EQ shapes.