Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where are they now????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Dec 15, 2003.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Two big influences for me where-

Sly Stone- Sly and the family stone, great band! but where's Sly?

Shuggi Otis- i heard we was ill... anyone know?

These guys are true innovators in music...

Where are they now???

any others out there your wondering about?

2. Last I heard Sly was in and out of the Joint. He has a few problems with the law and sobriety from what I understand, but this was a few years back. I hope he is well these days.
    Too bad, he was such a pioneer. IMHO he steals the show at Woodstock. Not too many DJ's make the transistion to Rock Star.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yea i heard the same (Sly), was it drugs, politics, money... do you know?

4. Like I say it's been a few years, but from what I remember he had a smack habit and is one of these celebrities that can't seem to score without getting busted ala Scott Weiland and Robert Downey Jr.
    The last time I saw Sly perform was on a Letterman I think, and he seemed a bit out of it although he still had some magic left.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    it's a shame...

have you heard of Shuggi Otis? I think he's around San Fran?

6. The name really rings bells, what tunes might I know?

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Strawberry Letter #23!!!!

it was covered by the Bros Johnson!

right now go buy everything Shuggi ever did... its like discovering Sly all over again

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The buzz on Sly is he is a complete burnout. He has done sooooo much drugs that his mental capacity has suffered. It's really ashame that when they play the theme song "everyday people" he dos'nt remember he wrote it. In the mid 70's when everybody joined George Clinton's Parliment it was said george told him "we can get high but we can't play together" I think Sly was one of the greatest influences on 60's music funk/rock scene with interratial members including women and family members awesome outfits and outstanding musicianship. Sly's bigest problem was his ego, what ashame. Also on another note, if you ever heard Larry Graham's "can you handle it" that was said to be about Sly and his moving on from the family stone.

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    bk whats happenin?

thats truly a shame about Sly he will be missed as always...

good heads up on Larry's song, I never really listen to the lyrics as my mind is on the groove he lays down.

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Can you handle it?

See what you did to me

Can you handle it?

You made it what it is

now can you handle it.....

Yup. That fits. Good catch pyrohr.

Peace,

James

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sly has been musically ripped off as many times as anyone in modern music history. The man was a legend and a genius and it's sad how his life has turned out.

12. Prince made a career of it.:D

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    FYI I found Shuggi, he mods a forum from a wheelchair a la Stephen Hawkins (sp?), voice box and all... what a shame, at least he's still involved in the music biz (12 bar blues forum).

Sly, a sad sad case. Any kids at all?

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sly had a wicked case of stage fright. He used drugs to get over it, and before he knew it, he was hooked. The last thing I remember him doing was some project with George Clinton. It's a shame about Shuggie. I second the suggestion of getting his stuff. Truly amazing.