Where can I buy nitrocellulose paint?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by descendent22, Nov 2, 2016.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I am currently thinking about refinishing my fender MIM fender p bass. This bass is my #1, my main bass with a bunch of mods. Anyway the one thing I am not happy about is the color. The color is black which I love black but I prefer white. I have no need to go out and buy another bass that is white just based on the color. I don't need another bass. With all that said, I seriously been contemplating thoughts of doing what many musicians/artist have done, which is change the color. I want white with nitrocellouse paint. I have the polyurethane stripper and plan on taking my time on this project and doing it correctly so I don't ruin the instrument.

Where can I get the nitrocellouse paint I am searching for, and can anyone give me info or how they refinished their bass with pictures as well?

2. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    Will_White and MobileHolmes like this.
  3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    There's a wealth of info here (and on Reranch's site) if you start searching.

If this is your first time, I have a couple of tips. First, there's no need to strip your existing finish. Sanding the gloss to rough it up then spraying primer/color/clear (followed by wet sanding and polishing) will do the job just fine. Second, is there any particular reason you want to use nitrocellulose? If you want a basic color like white, I'd use Duplicolor auto paint. It's much less expensive, and you can find it at any auto parts store. You can use Minwax lacquer in a spray can for the clear. I've used it on several and it works great.

4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Well I have refinished a cheap squier bullet strat that considering that being my 1st experience, it came out pretty decent. I ended up sanding the original finish, painting it with enamel and clear coating. Then I wet sanded it and that really made it nice. The reason why I want to totally strip off the paint on this one is for a couple reasons. One reason being I've read that the thicker and more layers you have on the instrument that covers the wood, it actually effects and takes away from the tone off the instrument itself. Idk how accurate or true that is, and I would like to take it down to the wood and refinish it properly I'm white.

5. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I have decided not to go through with this project.

6. The part about you having a "polyurethane stripper" bothers me a little.

All the MIM Fenders I own are polyester finishes, not polyurethane and try as might I have no "stripper" that handles polyester resins, as they are a locked molecule because they are catalyzed, not air dried.

But yeah..... I'd completely take your body down to bare wood as I've seem overlays of paint over polyester even when they are sanded more or less correctly ("correctly" here means if you were painting your fireplace or a cement curb) and they just don't POP the way a pure-from-bare finish should look.

There are always artifacts in those over-layered finishes that look just plain ugly.

zie likes this.