Where can I find Lake Placid Blue touch up paint?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by don21480, May 11, 2019.

1. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    I know that ReRanch has it but by the time you add their minimum shipping its $40 for a couple of ounces. I don't need much but there must be a better source!

2. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I've had some luck at a paint store. Might try that route.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Ahhhh..... Lake Placid blue....

44°18'57.6"N 73°59'39.1"W

4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    How big of an area are you touching up? Reranch makes touch up pens that cost less than the spray cans. And the shipping on those is cheaper as well.

Guitar ReRanch Touch Up Pens

There are a few paint brands you can find in big box hardware or auto parts stores that are close to LPB, but exact matching is tricky. What kind of instrument are you touching up?

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The problem is not everyone's "Lake Placid Blue" is the same. But those pens is probably your best bet.

6. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    So the touch up is really where paint has chipped off around the pickguard screw holes leaving a little exposed white primer. Its a custom '54 PBass and Matt Jenny did the body and said get touch up from Guitar Reranch. I've decided to go without a pickguard and am installing a racing stripe - not worried about the pickguard holes being filled and finished, just the edges of the holes so they don't look like small white spots. 10 or 12 drops of paint is all I need. Their website says the shipping minimum charge is $12.75 but they are shut down for a few days so I'll inquire when they are open.

Attached Files:

7. I ordered 3 touch up pens and shipping was $7.90 which was fine with me. Pens are quality with a bb (maybe) agitator inside.

8. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @Rallypoint_1 thats great news! As soon as their online ordering is back up I'll do that!

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    All these are Fenders. All are listed as Lake Placid Blue. Take your pick...
    LPB.jpg

buldog5151bass likes this.
  10. By the looks of the OP’s ax it’s the middle guitar. Guess the most common LPB? But the color from the touch up pen could vary a tad.

11. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Bumping this because ReRanch is currently closed. I have a couple chips on my American Performer Precision and would love to get it fixed.

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Well, you could try the nail polish trick. Take your bass to a cosmetics counter (if you can find one that's open) and see if they have a blue (or whatever they are calling it, "babydoll blue mist" perchance?) nail polish that's close enough, might get lucky. Most nail polish is just nitro laquer. I've done it with Fender Wine Red on small chips, and it was a damn good match.

13. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Call Mary Kay Cosmetics and ask them to send a nail polish sales rep to your home. Get plenty of samples in case you buy another bass.

14. I've always wanted to walk into Macy's with my bass just to see the looks on their faces.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I did it with a Strat, the makeup ladies were very nice.

Spectrum likes this.