1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I find this part?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chaunceyjiggson, Jul 8, 2014.

1. chaunceyjiggson

chaunceyjiggson

Apr 11, 2012
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404849187.888584.

I need one of these preferably in a black finish and in good condition. Does anyone have any clue where I can find one?

2. Double G

Double G

Jan 27, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Endorsing Artist: Euphonic Audio
    My guess is it's a hohner...

3. chaunceyjiggson

chaunceyjiggson

Apr 11, 2012
  4. Hi.

Are You looking for the exact part in the pic you posted, or just a "generic" ball end head-piece?

If it's just a generic one, then that one will probably do, but that's nowhere near the same part as in the pic.

Regards
    Sam

5. chaunceyjiggson

chaunceyjiggson

Apr 11, 2012
    I didn't realize that at first but now that I looked again your right. Do you have any clue where to get the exact part? Or would I have to machine the one I found to be exactly the same? Looking at it the front piece that would sit on the fretboard and guide the strings would be in the way. I'm trying to basically copy what's in the picture. Which was take a regular bass and make it headless.

6. Hi.

Short of DIY, no I do not.

In all fairness though, during the heyday of headless instruments, ie. the 80's, there was many manufacturers that tried the approach and most did not last very long.
    Some designs were successes, some were failures.

The Hohner one is IMO actually better engineered part than the one in Your pic, unless there's hidden from the view anchoring inside the neck.

A simple flat piece on the end of the neck can work, but it can also fail quite spectacularily.
    Screwing something into the end grain isn't preferred in woodworking.

The added support on the Hohner piece helps in that.

If You're using a ball end bridge, I for one would not use ball end head-piece, the availablity of dual ball end strings is still rather poor, especially if other than standard scale lengths/varieties are required.

Machining a flat head-piece like in the pic is relatively easy with even with just hand held drill, and a breeze with a bench drill.
    I'd braze tubular anchors into it for added support though.

Regards
    Sam

7. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    You could try one of these, use with double or single ball end. Can't for the life of me understand how it would stay in position though, it's not screwed to the head or anything. Anybody used one ?
    http://www.headlessusa.com/string-adaptrrs

8. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    String tension holds it in place as the original Steinberger plate remains in place. The strings pass through the original plate and the conversion piece is pulled into place when strings are brought to pitch.

9. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Cheers 12, I just ordered one. Been thinking about it for a few weeks, should've just asked here.

10. chaunceyjiggson

chaunceyjiggson

Apr 11, 2012
    So here's the question I have. Could I machine a headpiece to lock the strings in place sort of like a Floyd rose nut? The problem I'm having with all of this is the bass I'm trying to convert is short scale (28" roughly) and I'm not sure if I could even find double ball short scale strings. I'm still trying to get a grasp on the whole headless thing. How exactly does the bridge work on them? Do you have to use a ball end on them? I came across this one that I figured would do for the time being until I could afford a really nice one to slap on it and give me a grip on having the headless setup http://www.ebay.com/itm/280947073520

11. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
  12. Hi.

FR locks work for a pair of strings, and while it works, I for one didn't like that when I tried it.

In any case, the face of the screw that holds the string should not spin directly on the string, but to have something between the two to prevent the screw digging into the string, weakening and breaking it.
    OTOH, make the surface too big and the core may slip.

Scroll down a bit on this page, it should clear things up.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-build-headless-6-string-singlecut.342555/page-5

There was a thread by scottyd about making DIY headless tuners, but the link is broken and the thread can't be found??

Basically though, there's an anchor, a thumb-nut/-screw that rests on that anchor and a sliding part with a keyhole shaped opening for the ball end in it.

There are no reasons why a plain string anchor could not be incorporated onto the sliding part, but that's very rare and IMO un-necessary unless the mechanical complexity is "the thing" in the build.

No personal experience about that one, but I'd take it apart and make sure the slides and threads work smoothly before using it ;).

Regards
    Sam