1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where did all the used gear go??????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Lurker, Jan 7, 2017.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've been hunting around for a couple weeks for a small, cheap combo amp to stick behind the couch in my living room so I can dink around a bit while watching TV..... I've been to most of the stores here in western MA and pretty much nobody has much used gear anymore, but lots of low-end new stuff, and a couple stores have flat-out told me they don't carry used gear anymore.... one even told me that Fender doesn't like it when their dealers sell used stuff because Fender sees it as cutting into opportunities to sell new stuff (this is the first I'd heard that-- is it true?). Also, virtually no Peavey stuff anywhere......

I used to go to Daddy's Junky Music a lot (RIP) and most of the time you could barely move in there without tripping over a stack of old Peavey bass combos.

2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I've been noticing a decline in the used section of the GC website as well. A couple months ago it was around 1900 basses, and that number held for quite a while. Now it's less than 1500. And I have no idea why.
    Can't comment on used amps, as I haven't been paying attention to their numbers.

InhumanResource likes this.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I take it you are anti-CL-biased? I have no idea where in WM "Ankh-Morpork" is supposed to be, but there's a number on there.

$40 Crate 25W - in ludlow in the list at Racks, fx processors, Synths, Monitors, Preamps & More
    $50 Fender rumble 15, though it's possibly a scam since there no location given: Fender Rumbler 15
    $70 Yorkville that's been going begging for a month or is also a scam: Yorkville bass amp needs to go
    $75 fender rumble 25 chicopee bass amplifier or guitar,
    $100 fender rumble 25 in W-town Fender Rumble 25 Bass Amp w/ cables
    $125 Orange 25 in hadley Orange bass guitar amp amplifier crush 25bx
    $150 TNT115 in florence PEAVEY TNT 115S Bass combo amp

And that's without extending the search into Vermont, NH, CT or NY (depends where in WM you are and how far you'll drive.)

That guy who had a shop that smelled like an ashtray in North Adams frequently flogs old inventory on CL since closing the shop (presumably to make more time for smoking...) though I don't see any in this list so far, probably because he wasn't much of a bargain unless you thought paying extra for nicotine-coated-electronics was a good deal.

4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    garbagecan.

alembicguy likes this.
  5. This...kinda. I did hit my local Mom N Pops on Monday when I was off work, looking to spend my NYE gig money. Fender dealer had exactly ZERO used basses (used to have a dozen or more). They did have a new MIM Jazz, which had gone out as rented backline on one gig, for $400 "used." Go figure.

6. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Probably bought up by TBers over the holidays ;)

7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I noticed a decline beginning back in 2006, and it looks like it has continued unabated. Perhaps Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist, and online forum classifieds has taken a huge bite out of the used gear market?

The thing is, these shops will only pay 40% of used value if you're lucky. Since people are relatively comfortable buying used at 60% of new value, that means sellers can really do pretty well selling it on their own. Since it's so easy to sell on these digital platforms, they're less likely to go to the shop and take a bath on something. Factor in a less than desirable economy and you eliminate even more people willing to take a bath on used stuff if they can make more selling on their own.

tlite likes this.
  8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    The fact is too that the market is so saturated that even if you try try to sell older stuff it doesn't move. Especially older amps.
    When you can buy brand new stuff of good quality and high power that is feather light for a few hundred bucks, Nobody is going to buy or sell much.
    Sort of like Photograpy gear. The old has just been made pretty obsolete.

Inky13, Qlanq, Sid s and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I hear you about the internet part.... But I'm loath to pay $100 shipping on a $200 amp!

GregBass1979, tlite and NortyFiner like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If that is true, we should all divest ourselves of Fender products. That is, totally, a BS policy.

Kombo likes this.
  11. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

That's because all of those used basses are located at physical GC stores and GC has been reducing the footprint of the "bass section" in their stores for the past couple of years. At some point, they'll probably just get rid of it altogether and just have 10 or 12 basses (all low-end with one US Fender thrown in) and a few combos lined up in a corner of the guitar section.

12. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    WOW, you nailed that! The GC near me has a few basses, maybe 10, not much to really stop and take a look at. Pretty "run of the mill". Absolutely no used stuff and only a couple of bass amps.

NigelD likes this.
  13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    It's all on the Facebook marketplace. Any Joe Shmo has a Facebook account and can snap a crappy pic and post something they found in the garbage and ask for money for it.

14. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    "I've also noticed a lot of used stuff in Pawn Shops, you think it's a trend?" ... I think a lot more people are selling it on line themselves and not just trading it in at the Music Store.

franvarin likes this.
  15. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    Atlanta
    I like things that go BOOM
    The Russians bought it all and used it to hold free Rock concerts that brainwashed the hipsters, in turn getting Trump elected. Bam!

16. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    I'm outside of Worcester, I've got an ampeg 108 if you need a small one, or if want something bigger a Fender rumble 350 combo depending on what you mean by small. Send me a message if you're interested in either of these. Good luck

17. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    It's a city in the books of Terry Pratchett.

Skeptismo likes this.
  18. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I agree there is likely a large percentage of this now since it does not cost you anything to list on something like eBay etc. With a little patience you will get more than the trade in and the buyer gets a deal... so, It's kind of like a win/win!

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Two words

Pawn

Shops

Lots of used cheap stuff.

20. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Even on eBay and Reverb, it seems like there are more dealers selling new gear than anyone selling used gear. I'm in the process of doing a big update to my pedal board, and I eventually managed to find most of what I wanted used, but it took some serious shopping around to do it.