1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where the SCN pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SkinnyP411, Oct 8, 2013.

1. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hey guys! I have a custom 5 string jazz jazz with Lollar pick ups (and don't get me wrong they sound great) but I just don't think they're really the sound I'm going for. I played a Fender Amer. Deluxe 5 and I was hoping to get the pickups that are in those but I can't find the SCN five string pickups anywhere! I can find the 4 string version but no 5's:(. Is there a website or somewhere that still sells these?? Thanks for your time!

2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    They haven't made them in a while, 3 or 4 years probably. I recently sold a set on eBay. (Snooze, ya lose!! :p) I see them really infrequently on eBay used, but people seem to hang on to them.

The 4 string version seems to be available new, but I suspect they're NOS.

3. SkinnyP411

SkinnyP411

Nov 3, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply! I found out that the PUPs I had listened to were NOT actually the SCN's but were actually the N3's. I called Fender and they don't sell the 5 string N3's aftermarket:/ Does anyone know of a pickup that sounds similar to the N3's? I'd rather not spend a lot of $$$ buying the guts of a Fender deluxe:/

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Bad news. The best pickups for Fender V are the Nordies. (be sure wallet is full before ordering) I wanted to upgrade my MIM nasty pups to those but the price backed me off. Then someone on TB opined that the SCN were virtually as good as the Nordstrands but mucho cheaper. And this was right at the time they discontinued them (and they were for sale after-market everywhere). So I frantically scoured the NET for a pair and FOUND a set. I am positivly in LOVE with those pickups and what they did to my formerly Meh bass.

As usually Fender quickly discontinued them before too many people caught on how cool they were. I wish I'd seen the EBAY set for sale because I'd have scored them just to have backup in case mine were to suddenly develop a problem. But if worse comes to worse just grit your teeth and order the Nordies. Won't be disappointed.