Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy Fingerboard Stock?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ii7-V7, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Hmm?

Where can I buy wood (Rosewood, Ebony, Iroko, Lingum Vitae, etc) for a fingerboard. I'm not so much worried about the wood as I am the size and the grain quality/orientation.

Where do luthiers buy fingerboard stock?

Chad Dukes

2. Upton Bass has some fingerboards for sale.

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the links. I've checked out the sites. Can you guys vouch for the quality of these boards?

Chad

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't fuss with the rosewood boards, but the ebony boards are good.

5. I almost forgot, this is where I got my fingerboard from. I was lucky enough to call the guy just as they had received a new shipment, and he hand picked one for me. It was beautiful quality and straight as an arrow..and cheap too!!
    http://www.lmii.com/

6. i was on the phone with lmii the other day for maple and spruce and ask about their fingerboards. they no longer carry the upright bass boards, suppy wasnt consistent.

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
  8. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Here's a guy I came across who has a little shop up in Oregon or Washington.

robertgeeviolins@earthlink.net

I can't remember the exact price he quoted me for new ebony boards but it was cheaper than most places. I don't think he had any bass boards in stock but he would get one from his supplier and said they were good quality.

I ended up getting a used board from someone upgrading so I didn't get one from him myself.

kevinlee

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The board I bought from Wil was a gorgeous board. Much better than the bass it wound up going on.