1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to Buy High Quality pickup covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am wanting to buy some new pickup covers for my Stambaugh J. I don't want made in China cheapos, but something high-end. I was going to get the original Fender replacements but want a matte finish not a gloss finish.

Ideas where I can buy super high quality pickup covers?

2. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Guess where the fender pickup covers are made. China.

3. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Most pickup covers will be the same at any price point, they're all a piece of plastic. And if you want them matte, juts take some steel wool to them and scuff them up nice and even. Most pickup covers are created equal, so as long as it fits I wouldn't really care, as the "chana cheapos" are made the same as the Fenders. All IMO, IME, etc.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well if you look at the Seymor Duncans for example, they look nicer. Just don't want the gloss otherwise I'd get those.

seymour_duncan_jb_cover_black_no_logo.

I know this is kind of being overly picky about pickup covers, but this is really the only bass I play (back-up stays in the case) so I want the best.

5. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    You can always take out a high grit sanding block or steel wool to make it matte. But, if you really want something nice you can probably find some good looking matte pup covers on eBay.

6. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
  7. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Those duncan covers are probably made in china too.:rolleyes:

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Probably, but I like the rounded edges... less likely to dig into my thumb.

9. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    What I'd like to find are aftermarket pickup covers that don't require cutting/filing the pickup bobbins. The ones I ordered a few years ago were too small... both for J and P. I'd rather not risk ruining good pickups just to get the covers to fit.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  11. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I'm not trying to be dicky or anything, but your comment "I want the best" confuses me. What's better or worse about a p'up cover? It doesn't really do anything other than keep dirt out of the coils.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well for example, I once bought a set of j pup covers from basspartsresource and was having a heck of time getting them onto a particular bass, so I got out my drill (it was an SX so dont worry). Anyway, the pickup covers melted where the screws go in. Never had that happen before. Cheap junk.

Beside that, to the discerning eye there are differences. If you look at Bartolini pup covers for example you can tell they are higher quality.

13. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    I can definitely understand that a cover might not be sized properly (I bought a pickguard once for an MIA Jazz that must have had the holes drilled by Helen Keller). I guess I never really thought about covers much.

14. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I was thinking more in terms of "the guy who makes pickups for a living probably has a good line on suppliers who'd have what you need" but yeah, some steel wool might be the easiest way to go.
    :)

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was actually thinking of ordering those SD pups I have pictured, but the ebay seller wants $23 just for shipping which of course is ridiculous for a pair of pickup covers.

16. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    next time you drill into plastic, set the speed to "1" or "slow"...modifying a pickup cover is not a timed event. Same goes with pickguards and electronics covers.

A lot of boutique pickup manufacturers are ordering stock covers, and customizing them; rounding edges with files, sandpaper, steel wool...

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Huh. I didn't know that.

18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I would suggest a conversation with John Kallas. I don't know the particulars, but he has a method he uses to dull the shine on molded pickup covers.