Where to find a 32" scale neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I just bought a P-bass body as a project bass. I'd like to make it a medium scale bass.

Anyone know where I could get a 32" scale neck to fit it?

Thanks!

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Phantom makes 32" scale basses, perhaps Jack will sell you a neck.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Mike Dolan made a terrific 32" scale neck for me, and his price was about the same as the premium-quality Warmoth necks.

4. old puppy

old puppy

Mar 12, 2008
    just a thought, i am in the finishes of a build and used a 34" fret board with the first fret loped off = 32.092" SCALE. as long as i had to add the width of a string (.096 to .046) e-g. to the string length, i thought it wouldn't be a problem to add just a bit more when setting my bridge.

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I don't know if Ibanez will sell a seperate 32" scale neck but it would probably be worth contacting them.

edit: Aparenty not :(
    Replacement necks are only available for purchase from Authorized Ibanez Dealers and cannot be ordered directly from Ibanez. Necks can only be purchased for direct replacement purposes of existing Ibanez bolt on neck guitars. Replacement necks are installed by Ibanez at our facility. The original neck must be returned to Ibanez for inspection. Please direct all replacement neck purchase inquiries to your local Authorized Ibanez dealer.
    http://www.ibanez.com/parts/parts_ordering.asp

6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    Ibanez makes a bass with a 32" scale that will basically bolt on to a standard Fender-style body:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAXB150-Electric-Bass?sku=519479

You may or may not need to reposition the bridge...I have had good luck setting the intonation without bridge repositioning when I have tried this type of swap myself.

I have installed this type of bass neck on both Warmoth and Fender bodies, among others. Good luck with your project! later, ron

7. Bassamatic

Thank you all!

ALSO - I have been told that there is a MIJ Fender model with 32" scale - anyone know anything about this?

Thanks again - Gio

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There was a 32" MIJ Fender model, many years ago. I could be mistaken what with all of the cool Fenders available only in Japan these days, but the 32" one I know about has not been produced in 20 years.

9. Bassamatic

I found a TB thread about medium scale and it seems that some MIJ Squiers in the mid-80's were 32"... OK - Now to start looking for one!

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i've owned one of those MIJ squier basses before. they are nice basses but their necks will not fit a standard p or j bass. They are too narrow.

Same thing with the Matsumoko basses, i.e. Aria/Vantage/others MIJ in the 80s.

The original Fender Stu Hamm Urge models, both MIA and MIM, are 32" scale; I have not tried to fit their necks to a standard p or j body. I expect they would be too long to fit.

There are other 32" scale basses out there--I have traveled this path before. E-mail me at rdyoder at gmail dot com if you want to get more specific. later, ron

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021