Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find replacement bridge for Palatino?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Sheraton, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sheraton

Sheraton

Sep 12, 2002
    KL, Malaysia
    Hi guys,

I currently bought a Palatino EUB. I'm looking to replace the bridge to a non-adjustable bridge. Can anyone tell me where to order online? it's not a standard size. I think it's even shorter than a 1/8 size.

BTW i want to install a K&K bass max into it and bybass the original pickup. Is that a good idea? I can't try it out with the current bridge coz the wing slot is too narrow for bassmax.

Thanks.

Vincent

2. Replacing the bridge and pickup on a Palatino is a good idea. Any bridge would be an improvement, even one you make yourself. I'd be inclined to trace the basic dimensions off the original and make my own.
    I think the bass would sound better with a pickup under the bridge, especially since it has a sort of housing there already to keep everything in place. Something like a Realist, or have a look at the recent thread on DIY pickups using MSI piezo films.

3. gfred

gfred

Jan 5, 2006
    Wichita, Kansas
    HEY- TONERANGER (OR ANYONE!!) WHERE IS THE DIY THREAD YOU MENTIONED? ALSO, FDECK IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE SOME DIY PLANS AROUND HERE FOR PREAMPS. HOW CAN I FIND THOSE??

4. I posted the Palatino club thread. I have 3 new designs that I am trying. It is a slow process to try each and get the sound you are after. Once I find what I an looking for I will begin to make and sell my bridge in various styles. Stay tuned!

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    What's the measurements of the current bridge? Foot center to foot center, and height from body to center of the top.

Keep in mind that if the bridge is shorter than the typical 3/4 size URB bridge the Bass Max will favor the side in which it is installed. It's either a matter of modifying the bridge for a central installation or having two Bass Max pickups, one on each side and one out of phase from the other (which is an easy special order), or a Double Bass Max (I have one in stock).

6. I've mainly used the smallest MSI piezos, but the bridge support/pickup housing on the Palatino looks like it would fit the 6" x 3/4" pickup.