Where's this here wire go?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Apr 19, 2015.

  1. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
    Hello, TB. Squier Jag. No response from J pup. Where is this wire supposed to be? (See image).

    Thanks in advance.

    Attached Files:

    • wire.jpg
      File size:
      205.9 KB
    zontar likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

    DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

    Where is it from? I am guessing the negative from the bridge pickup, yeah?
  3. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
    I can touch it to any metal and get a signal from the pickup, but there's a pretty annoying hum. Where would be the best place to secure it?
  4. You have not specified what it is. You don't just make random choices regarding where to connect wires. You have to know what you are dealing with before you can decide where to solder it.

    Where does the wire come from?
  5. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
    It's coming from the hole that leads to the bridge pup. There are two other wires coming out of this hole. The yellow one goes to the second knob. The other black one goes to the first knob. Does this info help?

    Attached Files:

  6. You will need to check the bridge pickup's cavity, then.

    Practically, however, it is very likely to be the shielding from the bridge pickup.
  7. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
    Just pulled the pup. It's coming from the pup, not the shielding. There are two wires coming from the pup: one yellow, one black. The yellow goes to the second knob. The black is the one that's loose. The other black wire (from the bottom of the cavity) is the one going to the first knob.
  8. Connect to the back of the second volume pot. When you close the control cavity with the control plate the hum will decrease but the only way to totally get rid of the single coil jazz pickup him is to replace it with a dual or split coil noiseless jazz pickup
    bholder and Bodeanly like this.
  9. Laurent

    Laurent Supporting Member

    May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    +1 It looks like a ground wire. So it should indeed be soldered to the back of your volume pot. It can be any pot as long as they are all grounded and they should. Normally black is ground and white/green sometimes red is hot.
  10. Bodeanly


    Mar 20, 2015
  11. paparoof


    Apr 27, 2011
    fEARful koolaid drinker
  12. JustForSport


    Nov 17, 2011
    See the dent in the cavity shield that is by the cover plate screw? It may have been sandwiched there to ground the plate and cavity, as I see no other cavity ground wire. It's not the best way to ground those...
  13. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Jul 29, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.