1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Which 15" woofer for this box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systolic, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Don't have a ton of specs, but:

15" hole
    1/2" plywood
    3.25 cf internal volume
    Two front ports. 3" in diameter and the tubes inside are 2" deep." Bottom left and bottom right.
    Does have a tweeter. Not sure on the crossover point.
    Needs to handle a 5 string tuned down a half step.
    Definitely prefer a more modern/open sound vs warm/wooly.

I know it's not a lot to go off of, but just looking at that.

What are we thinking? Delalite II? Kappa? Faital?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Half inch ply will make a very poor bass cabinet unless it is braced properly. In my mind you’d be better off looking at published plans for a bass cabinet and building a suitable enclosure to suit the driver you select. Often dropping some arbitrary driver into an old box you have lying around ends up as a bit of a fail.

3. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Well I trying to stay purposefully vague, but this is actually an inquiry for a replacement woofer for a current and popular bass cab. It's just a little too vintagey sounding for my liking.

4. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Call Eminence. They can help.

5. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Already did. They recommended the Kappa 3015. Just wanted to see what TB thought.

jcerio likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Call US Speaker. They will run your figures through their software and spend however long it takes getting you a speaker you can work with. They spent over a half hour on the phone with me once talking me through my volume/tone/budget preferences after we nailed down the measurements. Great customer service.

Somebody here my have the software but won't have all the parameters of the speakers in a database. They have Eminence and lots if other brands too.

7. Kappalite or Faital pr400 will work. Need to model it to dial in the port length.

8. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

The PR400 isn't all that modern sounding, in my experience.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep. Turned out a Kappalite 3015 was pretty much a perfect match for my GK NEO115III cab. I was going to buy it anyway, but the info from US Speaker was comforting and gave me confidence that it wouldn't be a complete failure. Some knowledgeable TB'ers familiar with the switch also helped affirm what US Speaker told me.

two fingers likes this.
  10. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I got some emails in with US Speaker. They said they'd get me info tomorrow.

11. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

12. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    +1,000,000

Also, ask about recommended dampening material (I've used mattress topper from Walmart.) and, as mentioned above, bracing for 1/2" plywood is EXTREMELY important.

13. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Ya, they should have an answer for me today, I'll certainly inquire about padding as well. I haven't really opened it up yet, but I believe it's already braced internally. Not sure how I'd go about adding more bracing.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Then you do yourself a disservice. Other people may have already gone through the work, but wouldn't it applied to your question.

15. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Fair enough, I was trying to avoid the whole "They designed that driver for that cabinet, don't change it!" argument," but I suppose I can just ignore that point for now.

It's a Fender Rumble 115 V3.

16. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan

To be fair, it is a well respected cabinet. You may do better selling it and finding something that suits your needs better. YMMV.

17. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Lol, I'm aware and I generally really like the cabs. They're just too "vintage/warm/wooly" sounding for me. Well, while we're looking it all this then, let's do this.

I don't have a lot of cash hanging about otherwise I'd probably just get the Mesa 115's.

The Fender's can be sold for about $225 each and I can get a brand new Kappa 3015 (as an example) through my work for about $125. What 1x15 can I get that's going to be as loud, as light, and sound at least as good for $350?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM
  18. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Do you have the capability of building a cab?

19. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Mmmmmmm kinda. I have most of the tools, and most of the knowledge but not all of either nor a good place to do it. More importantly I don't really have the time to do it. Multiple rehearsals every week and gigs almost every weekend....

20. Need to know that crossover point. Unless someone knows what speaker will meet your needs, a replacement that might be otherwise perfect could fall short of the crossover and not work well.