Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 2 single 12's to get... or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwreid, Jan 5, 2006.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I've been doing a lot of research on the forum and found a wealth of useful information but I still can't quite get to where I want to be. I have an Eden WT600 that I'm running stereo into a Trace 1x15 and a Trace 2x10. I want to go lightweight but have been balking at the price of my first choice... Epifani's of the same format. This has led me to think of getting 2 single 12's and I've narrowed it down to Aguilar, Eden and possibly the Epifani. I like the sound of my current rig but the weight really has to go. While the offerings from these companies have different weights, they are all considerably lighter than what I have and the first two seem very reasonably priced. I use a 72 P Bass and a Lull 5 string to play mainly classic rock, no big venues. Looking to the authorities here, which do you think would be my best bet? Many thanks and a happy new year to everyone.

2. Hello from Ken! All the 112's you mention sound great, and the Eden112XLT really sound good with an Eden head (I had the pleasure hearing two with an Eden405 down at LDS and it was smokin'... very warm and punchy)... great for the type of music you describe.

The problem... your head runs optimally at 4ohms per side and 8ohms bridged. I don't think any of those cabs come in 4 ohms... so you would be running relatively low power into them in stereo. I guess you are doing that now with your current cabs (I assume 8ohm), so maybe it won't be an issue.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You can't talk about 12's without considering Bergantino. I use an HT112, many use an HT/EX mini stack. Great cabs!

4. Given the 8ohm power issue I mentioned above, sensitivity seems to be key, and I believe the Berg's are somewhat inefficient versus the other 12's he mentions. I could be wrong about that, but it's something to consider if you are only putting 150 watts or so into each speaker.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    +1 on the Bergies...

That said, another you should consider is Avatar. I have a 212 that sounds amazingly great, especially since it was as inexpensive as it was. Getting ready to put a new crossover in mine, just to refine it a little more. They have 112 cabs and 212 cabs. Check them out- the best customer service I have ever experienced with music gear, period.

6. every eden cabinet i have ever played sounds considerably better with an eden head. which is odd, because their heads sound good through a lot of other cabinets.

robb.

7. I feel EXACTLY the same way....I've used Eden heads with many brands of cabs successfully, but really like the Eden/Eden combination best. Also, taking it one step further, it seems other heads can sound particularly bad with their cabs.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I like the old Epifani 212 - partly because they place the speakers vertically, partly because the cab is just tall enough that when standing close you can hear a decent representation of its frequency response.

Similarly I think the Genz Benz NeoX-212T is a great two-way, standalone, or stacked. Sounds great and handles all the power its rated for without hitting overexcursion too.

Similarly, I like their 112 model.

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    +1! Get the Eden cabs!

10. Without mentioning EA cabinets.

Out of all these - I think even Tombowlus would highly recommend 2 Wizzy's as one of the absolutely best 2 single 12" combinations possible. Coming from someone with as much gear experience as he has - that's saying something.

Jay

11. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Hi Ken and others. Thanks for the input. When (If) I go with two 12's I'll go mono so they will be 4 ohms. I'm considering bridged, any thoughts on that?

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Another worthwhile contender is the Tri112. I'm currently using a pair of Tri112's and it makes a killer rig. There also quite efficient.

13. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Genz-Benz NeoX-212T. I was heading towards two single 12's when I heard this warm and wonderful cabinet and I fell in love. Two years later, I like it even more!

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 EA wizzys work great for classic rock and are very small and light. They are also 4 ohms. I believe they are in the same price range as the Aguilar 1x12.

If you get a chance, give them a listen.

15. Mann I would like to try them! A pair of Epifani 1x12UL's works also fine for me

16. Hello.... I'm pretty sure that you cannot bridge the WT600 (or any of the older model 'stereo' Eden heads) in to a 4ohm load... hence the problem. You can only get full power out of that particular line of heads with two 4ohm cabs in 'stereo' or one 8ohm cab bridged.

However, I did not realize the Wizzy's are 4ohm, which would be perfect for your head. For your style of playing and sound, that might really be the ticket. They don't have tweeters (which eliminates them for me), however, lot's of TBer's like them a lot for 'old school' tone, etc.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get a new amp that can be bridged, like the WT550 if you really like the Eden sound.

18. +1 The mono550 can run safely down to 2ohms and really puts out the wump into a 4ohm load, and the new EA 'stereo' heads can be bridged into 4ohms with no problem. Those older designed Eden stereo heads (the 600/800) work wonderfully bridged into a large 8ohm cab (like the Eden410XLT), but are somewhat limited when using two small single speaker cabs, which are almost always 8ohm.

19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Wizzy is light and has great tone, but it does not like to be pushed real hard and would not be a cab I'd recommend for any rock gig.

20. which is why i don't own any eden cabinets. the first time i played through an HT-112, i was using a sterling through a WT head (don't recall which). that was a really sweet combination. of course, the HT-112 sounds really boobies with just about anything i've played through it.

i'm still partial to the HT-112. i need to get a chrome-grille EX-112.

robb.