1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 2x12 neo cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxoges, Apr 3, 2006.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've thought of buying a 2x12 neo cab. Here in sweden most of the musicstores don't have many bass cabinetts to try out, you would have to order it. Do you have any recommendations?
    I'll use it with a Hartke 3500 head and I play with 4-string basses mostly (fender jazz, stingray).

I've located a bunch of brands on the net:

Ampeg
    [​IMG]

Carvin
    [​IMG]

EBS
    [​IMG]
    Avatar(no retail in sweden :spit: )

[​IMG]

Genz Benz - no retail in Sweden.

2. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Hi,

I cant comment on all of the brands that you mention but I have an EBS 2 x 12 NEO and love it. Its light and clear and sounds great to my ears.

Steve

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Depending on the tone you want you should check out Epifani, who's been offering neo's for a while now and Schroeder who just came out with them.
    If you're considering non-neo cabs then check into Bergantino too.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The problem with the Carvin neo is that you don't get the advantage (low weight) of a neo cabinet - it's really heavy (like 85 pounds, I think). More than, say, Aguilar's non-neo 2x12.

I really like my Low Down Sound neo 2x12 / 2x6. It's in my avatar. About 55 pounds or so, easy to carry, tight(!) bottom end, great high mids ....

Of your choices, I think EBS is your most solid bet. That Ampeg cabinet doesn't have a greta reputation because the efficiency is so terribly low.

5. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Get the EBS! I have that specific cabinet, and it really rocks with my HD350!

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Since you're already in Sweden, why not go for the EBS?

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Avatar doesn't have retail anywhere, they're internet direct. Even with shipping, you'll probably end up way cheaper than some of the others you've mentioned.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I really dont understand why there's any debate.

The dude lives in Sweden.
    EBS is made IN SWEDEN!

EBS is some awesome gear! To me, this is a no-brainer. I sure as hell, wouldnt order Avatar via the web,,, across the ocean. When, you can get better gear in your own back yard.

The whole appeal of Avatar is, you can get a pretty decent cab for next to nothing. If you have it shipped across the ocean, that appeal is drastically reduced.

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I'm having great success w/my Carvin BRX12. No 18" needed.
    The no carpet thing is cool sepecially if you have cats. Do ya'll have cats in Sweden? :)

One of the reasons the BRX12 is heavier than the others mentioned is that it is 20" deep w/Baltic birch. I suspect this is why it will go lower than the other cabs.

Shipping the Carvin to SWEDEN! (83 lbs) will not be cheap if they will ship to you. You won't be disappointed if you decide to purchase one.

EBS would be my next choice & it's right there in your backyard.

Carvin BRX12
    EBS212
    Genz Benz
    Ampeg

10. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank's for the input guys, I guess i'll go with EBS then.

PS We do have cats. I had three of them as a kid :)

11. lowfreq1

lowfreq1

Mar 26, 2006
    Stockholm Sweden
    I have an EBS Neo 212 (actually two), mostly I use one, it's a great cab, I really like it a lot. It hasn't that thundering lows, more "tight" lows (which I prefer), pronounced midrange and very very tight sounding, almost like a 4x10.
    You really can't go wrong with this cab.