Which 4 string J basses DON'T use staggered width pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm on the hunt for my next project bass. I've already purchased a set of Dimarzio UltraJazz pickups... but I need to know which basses to avoid in order to make everything work for me.

(GIVEN: 4 string models of all of these)

I know Fender MIM Standard Jazz basses don't have them (or didn't for a long time, not sure about the newest ones).
    Wasn't sure about the MIM Deluxe, though.
    I also wasn't sure about Squiers... I think the Deluxe Active uses same-sized, but wasn't sure on the CV or VM.

Is there a guide anywhere which may list this? Or should we make one?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    really cheap basses won't use the correct-sized pickups. the mexi fenders corrected this design flaw many years ago.

3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Do you have a transition year for that? The last one I had was a 95 and it was same-sized.

4. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Some not really cheap basses too. Carvin uses the same size J pickups in both positions.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    on their 4-strings? that's kinda lame.

i'm pretty sure they're using some kind of pickup with a continuous bar magnet, rather than fender-style polepieces, so it shouldn't matter, but still.

6. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, they are bar magnets. Carvin uses the same pickups for 4, 5 and 6 string basses.

I assume they use the same size pickup for both positions, and 4, 5 and 6 strings because they make their own pickups and it is easier to have only one size. The only difference between neck and bridge is that one is reverse wound for hum canceling.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021