1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 4x10 Cabinet for a clean, Punchy sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KBeamon, Oct 15, 2013.

1. KBeamon

KBeamon

Sep 10, 2013
    Which 4x10 cabinet would you recommend for a clean, punchy sound? I think I would prefer to avoid ported cabinets in favor of sealed ones. I want to avoid the deep boomy bass that overpowers a room. I wanted an SWR GoLight Marcus Miller 4x10 Cabinet because it is a sealed cabinet, but I can't find one anywhere. I play a Modulus Bass, DR strings, through an SWR Marcus Miller pre-amp and an SWR WorkingPro 400 amp. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. If you wanted a sealed cab, go find an Ampeg 410he.

3. Eden 410XLT is ported, but not boomy.

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Reeves has a nice sealed 410.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SWR was what came to mind when I read your thread title. I really like the MM cab.

6. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    My Genz Benz 4X10 is ported and not boomby,

Tabdog

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Trace Elliot

8. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Ampeg SVT 410he will do the trick and can be found used for cheap. Only comes in 8ohms though.

I needed a sealed 4ohm 410 for my SVT cl so I had Fliptops build me one. I'm very happy with it.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. what did they use for drivers? .. and where they 4 ohms wired in series/parallel or 16 ohms in parallel

10. 2 2x10 stacked vertically.

11. Bergantino AE410 (maybe HD410 also??) is a very tightly voiced 410. Very light, gutsy & tight. A li'l like a sealed cab but does go nice & deep, but definately not boomy.

12. Bergantino and Epifani.

13. My Markbass 104HR is sealed and sounds super clean and punchy.

14. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I own, and enjoy Ampeg gear, but when I just checked the Ampeg web site, I see the 410he is shown to weigh 91 Lbs. Yikes! I do own a fridge, (so it's not like I'm a stranger to back problems), but man, there has got to be a lighter 410. I suppose if you go neo, you have to pay more for the lighter weight though.

15. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012

+1

16. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    Avoid boominess by using the EQ of your amp and bass. This helps a lot.

17. kevibass

kevibass

Sep 25, 2011
    southeast
    i do like my hartke 4x10. i can equalize to get what i want. i play a '78 jazz and it just sounds goood.

18. Has a port on the back no?
    6788906824_58fafb8f5e.

19. kevibass

kevibass

Sep 25, 2011
    southeast
    yes :)

20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    GK SBX plus, sounds exactly like what you are looking for, sealed cab, punchy, and loud. They turn up used fairly often and you can get them for peanuts. I had a pair of them, and I kind of wish I didn't sell them.