Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 6-string bass would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcerbusDaemon, Feb 28, 2005.

1. AcerbusDaemon

AcerbusDaemon Guest

Feb 28, 2005
    Hi there! I'm new here and I'm thinking of buying a 6-string bass guitar but I don't know which one to choose. I have a tight budget, so I'd like to get something that is affordable. I'm leaning towards the Cort Curbow 6 and the Dean Edge 6, but I don't know which one to get. Could any of you help me? If you have other suggestions on affordable basses, then go on. (Prices can go up to 600 bucks max., preferably around $500)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not a whole lot of selection in that price range, but id suggest checknig out any of these http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html Brice is a great brand and will be as good or better than anythnig you will find in that price range, and you will save money.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check these out.

Link.

I've been eyeballing that Esp Ltd B206 for quite a while. I just haven't had the courage to take the plunge. I have been playing for about 5 years now and got my first 5-string on Friday!

:)

Joe.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've owned basses from Dean and Brice, and I think you'd be happy with either. Dean and others closer to the $600 mark will be better than the $3-400 Brices, however, the Brices are real servicable giggable basses. If lower price is important you won't regret a Brice, but if you really can afford to spend $600, you should do so.

Take a look at the Tobias Toby basses at www.musicyo.com. The TOBY-Pro 6 is only $629 with gig bag and is a nice, nice bass IMO.

Note that the Brice basses at rondo music need an extensive set-up out of the box. If you are not confident in your abilitity to do this, budget another $40-50 from your local music store for this service. It is absolutely necessary. (of course, any bass should be set-up, but from what I've seen and read the Brices are more in need of a setup than many)

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    +1

I'm loving the Brice Z6 that I have, but it took a LOT of work to get it really set up properly. I've been using it exclusively for about 3 months, and after several different adjustments, it is just now really starting to sing for me. Like any instrument, it takes a while to cultivate your relationship with your bass.

Brice sells very reasonably priced instruments that, at their core, are well constructed and basically playable right out of the box (except for a quick set-up and string change). The big thing with Brice is that, if you want to upgrade the quality of the bass, the basic instrument is well made (body, neck, fretwork, etc). If you put some time into it, your $350-$400 Brice will be on a par with many, many basses street priced at over $1200 .....

6. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Peavey Grinds always seem like really solid and nice looking basses for cheap.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  8. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    For $600 you can get an Ibanez BTB406. That's how much I paid for mine and I love it. Good sound, comes with nickel elixir strings. Check it out.

9. Does anyone know how thick the neck is for the Grind, I have a Ibanez SR406 and I think the string are way to close, I'd like to have a little more space inbetween strings

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If the Peavey Grind neck is anything like the Peavey Fury neck then I *think* it's 2.125" at the nut and 3.25" at the last fret, as is pretty much the norm for 6-string necks. I believe the Ibanez SR506 has those dimensions on the neck width as well.

As far as thickness goes, the Fury and the Soundgear have comfy parenthesis "(" type profile.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey Baker, I read that, but scroll down to the green. From what it appears to me, it is messed up man. :meh:

13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yes, this is a very good bass (big difference is that it's a Brice, not an SX). BUT, you need to do some work on it to make it professionally playable, as stated above.

I seriously considered the Carvin, but the body shape is just not comfortable to me. One of the things I like about the Brice Prestige line is that the body shape is a direct copy of the Fender bodies, very comfortable to me.

If you're looking for something to play that doesn't require some attention, do not choose a Brice. OTOH, if you have a little patience and some basic set-up skills, the Brice is a true kick-*ss bass :hyper:

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The real problem with Carvins is that they are butt-ugly!

15. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look butt-ugly too me, (granted the headstock has issues) And I thought we've established with the Bongo that looks aren't everythign (granted Bongo tone > Carvin) but chooseing a Brice over a used Carvin (if u have the funds for the Carvin) is just dumb IMO. Carvins construction is top notch. and yes that bass is a little messed up you're right I didn't really check the pictures or anything, but it is not uncommon to find Carvins on the bay for 5-600, just keep patient.

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well now i'm torn over a Tobias or a Carvin XB76.

Any suggestions, or are they just both equal and it's up to me?

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Tobias as in the Toby as in the ones from Gibson are crud! I've yet to hear a mediocre review on them, everything I heard was cr*p. Carvin on the other hand most people just don't like their electronics which can easily be changed. XB76's are a little rarer on ebay I believe...

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Basically the same, the XB just has a longer scale length and 22 (as opposed to 24 on the LB) frets.

Man, I kinda miss my old LB76 (which recently met an untimely death... all I will say is, just be careful while handling your instruments!) I find myself longing for a replacement. That bass was good and solid and it played great.