Which Acoustic to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TsunamiBomb, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Hello
    I have been wanting to purchase an acoustic bass for a long time but don't know a lot about them. I want something loud enough to play with an acoustic guitar unplugged and sounds kinda cool plugged in without spending more than a couple hundred dollars. I saw this one : Fender BG31
    But I haven't heard much about it.
    Also, i have heard a lot of good things about a dean playmate bass:
    If anyone has any suggestions or know of any good acoustic basses I'd love to heard about it. Thanks!
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Tacoma Thunderchief
  3. Used Tacoma Thunderchief

+ TI Acousticores
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I would say go for a Thunderchief, they have a great solid sound and clarity... If you can afford one, you might be able to find a Dave Maize ABG in the used-markets.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    No matter which ABG you get, it won't be able to hang with more than one guitar. If there are multiple guitars or anythign like that, you'll just get lost in the flood of it all.
    The only bass that may keep up is the Tacoma. The USA models are about $700-$1000 depending on options, condition, etc. Used they can be had for $500 or more. The Imports are not nearly as nice (from what I have played) but are still better than most ABG's and run around $300 new.
    Stay far away from that Fender. I have only played on one Fender ABG that was remotely playable or sounded even decent. Most of them have action as high as chinese URB, and have no volume. Dean acoustics are far better IMO.