1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Bass Head Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgeX006, Oct 27, 2018.

1. GeorgeX006

GeorgeX006

Oct 27, 2018
    My choices for now are:
    Ampeg PF-350 Portaflex Head
    Hartke 2500 Bass Head (15kg)
    Kustom DE300 HD Head (16kg)

I prefer something light so I leading towards the Ampeg.
    I spoke with a friend who is a sound engineer and he suggested me the Kustom because it has a tube.
    Also he suggested to buy something that has a graphic eq thats why I m intrested in the Hartke.

The thing is that currently I play on an ASHDOWN FIVE 15 100W combo which i m going to turn into my cabinet until I buy a better one,So my concern is that I may ruin it if I plug in The Kustom...
    I think It would be better to but the Hartke or The Ampeg..I play a lot of stoner and using many bass pedals such as fuzz,overdrive,phaser,wah and an octaver..

What do you suggest me to do?
    Also if you have any other reccomendention I m glad to hear it!

Thank you in Advance

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I can't offer any comparative experience with the other two, but I'm very happy with my PF-350. The tone is classic Ampeg (B-15-ish, some say), and the three-band EQ is very musical, responsive and easy to dial in. I find the 250 W into 8 Ohms ample with a good cab (I use a 115 with a 5-piece Americana band), and the DI, though basic, works great. In short, it offers me everything I need and nothing I don't in a relatively small, lightweight, yet sturdy package.

3. I play MarkBass, but out of all you have listed, the Ampeg would be my choice, proven quality.

4. Of the three you've listed , Ampeg all the way. I'd try to upgrade to the pf 500 though. Just a little bit more versatile. But to be honest (can an Ampeg fan boy do that) any of them will get the job done.

GeorgeX006 likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Ampeg from that list.

But if weight is your main concern, there are much better choices out there. Genzler, TC, GK, just to name a few.

6. Another vote for the Ampeg.