Which bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insipricated, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Insipricated

Insipricated

Aug 9, 2013
    Hey everyone, I'm new here and I've decided to start playing Bass again. I'm currently working a solo project, and I'm unsure which bass I should buy.

I'm currently looking at either the 'Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass,' 'Squier vintage modified Jaguar bass,' or the 'Squier vintage modified Jaguar SS (short scale) bass.'

I'm planning on playing in either Standard, D Standard or Drop D. (Most probably Drop D) and going for a Rockish, alternative sound. (E.g Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys, Temple of Dog, Guns 'n' Roses, etc)

I only really want to pay $400 or less, just because I don't really earn too much money being an apprentice, I'm also investing in other musical gear and would rather keep prices relatively low and if all goes well upgrade later.

(I was only considering the SS because even though I'm 6'3 tall with long arms I think I'd be able to play a SS a bit faster and with more ease as I'm used to playing Guitar)

((Sorry if I posted in the wrong Forum))

2. llldino

llldino

Dec 16, 2012
    i like squiers newish stuff. definitely not the best electronics but the neck has a nice feel to it. I personally wouldn't go with any short scale stuff, as for the other two, basically what's your pleasure? You get a more defined, characteristic sound with the jazz bass, and you get a fundamental, more solid sound with the jaguar due to the p style pickups.

3. Insipricated

Insipricated

Aug 9, 2013
    I'm planning on using a Les Paul for the guitar, and my vocals are relatively mellow and relaxed, (similar to Adam Gontier's vocals in 'Never Too Late,' or something like Eddie Vedder's Softer songs) so I'm not particularly sure which sound would fit better, and I can't try out either bass because no stores near me sell them (being in Australia where the music industry isn't as top notch compared to other countries) So I have to order it online, and I'm worried I'll get the wrong sounding one.

4. Insipricated

Insipricated

Aug 9, 2013
    /bump

5. JCheung

JCheung

Jan 25, 2013
    Herndon, VA
    I honestly think you'd do well to wait a tad bit, don't know when they are available near you, to get a Squier Vintage Modified PJ that's coming out. A pj set up would fit perfectly I think and I honestly believe if you start bass you should start with a regular scale bass.

6. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

Jun 9, 2013
    the jazz bass all the way

7. I'm fairly certain that 3 Days Grace's bassist uses a Jazz type (although Pearl Jam's uses whatever he wants lol) so I'd go with the jazz

8. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Inactive

May 6, 2013
    Squire

9. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

Jun 4, 2012
    Hi and welcome. My advice, go into a music shop with an assistant. Pick out three or four different models you might like then put on a blindfold and have the assistant pass you the basses one at a time. Verbalise what you liked, didn't like about each one. Maybe even let the store staff put their picks in the mix. Your ears will always be fooled by your preconceptions, so don't let anyone tell you what you're playing. A bass is as much about the feel in your hands as it is about the sound - there are squillions of ways of altering the sound, but not many ways you can change the feel of the instrument in your hands.

I'm pretty sure you won;t take this advice, which is a pity :D

10. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Jazz bass - probably better for drop tuning - I have no experience drop tuning with a short scale.

Anyway, play them all - try them all drop tuned and see what resonates with you.

11. Drop D on a short scale doesn't sound like a good idea - I'd go long scale.

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    sterling sub ray 4. 280$ new and sounds just like its 1400$ big sister. go try one at guitar center. It has ruined all passive basses for me. Ever since I got it If I play something else I think to my self... Hey this bass kinda sucks I miss my ray.

13. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    The Squier Jaguar has neck dive. I'm warning ya.

14. _asdfgh_

_asdfgh_

Aug 2, 2013
    The Squier VM stuff is well-constructed, although I am not such a fan of the pickups on the Jazz VM models. They are polite but lack richness and bite compared to the Am Std pickups. However, on the newer range things may have changed from a few years ago but you might want more bite for Pearl Jam and similar music whereas they'd be fine for some other styles of music. (IMHO of course). I am pretty sure the VM jazz comes with 500k pots so I don't think there's much to be gained from a pot change.

For your budget it's worth considering used, and also considering widening the options as sometimes something good turns up you are not expecting [e.g. the SubRay - certainly capable of biting sounds that might fit well with the syles you outlined]. Buying used from a store is at a premium compared to a private sale, but you do have some comeback at least, should the bass fall in half or something.

If you can borrow a bass from someone in your general price range it also gets you used to the sound and feel of the bass so you know what you are looking for when you get to a store.

15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Off-topic. He only asked about the three Squiers, not your personal fave bass.

16. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    apparently someone hasn't tried the sub ray4 its the best bang for your buck. I feel like I stole it for 250 when guitar center had a sale going on! do your self a favor and check it out. If it matters I own 2 VM basses an Olympic white p bass and the sunburst j. The sub ray blows them both away.

17. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    stick with the jazz. avoid the short scale. just my $0.02

18. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I've tried a black/maple sub ray 4, wasn't really impressed at all, badly needed a fret job, output is way too hot, just felt cheap tbh, VM Jazz is a much better bass.

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Again, he didn't ask about a Sub Ray 4, and whether or not it blows anything away is your opinion. He's interested in the Squiers and nothing else.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021