1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass should you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scroger2112, Aug 21, 2012.

1. scroger2112

scroger2112

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm looking into buy either a FSR Fender J Bass a Fender Standard J Bass or a G&L JB-2. I would like your opinions or other options in the $700 price range. Thanks guys

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    JB-2, without question. G&L are the best Fender instruments made.

3. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    I have the FSR antigua J and I love it. Just took at it a session on Sunday and was getting compliments on my 'killin' tone from two of the other players on the gig, One of which I was told is the king of fine tuning tone... little did he know I was running straight into Protools without any sort of eq or amp modeling plug-ins. I also have 2 purchased new in 2012 standard Js and love them as well. I have no experience with the JB-2, though every G&L bass I have ever played I have wanted badly when I was done with it.

I looks like you are going for the J sound but if you are considering other tones too, the G&L Tribute L2000 is an amazing bass with amazing tonal versatility for the price, check out Ed Friedland's video review. But otherwise I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. Take what people say about MIM with a grain of salt. My FIVE MIM Fenders are absolutely amazing. The new gloss maple fretboard and headstocks are nice touches for this year (maybe last year too?)

4. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I'm a fan of G&L over Fender, but ymmv

5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    JB-2