1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Big Muff should I get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Arctic, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Arctic

Arctic

Mar 8, 2010
    Well, I'm going to make a Big Muff pedal (hopefully by the end of March) but I really don't know which one is best for me.

I really don't know what to say about what I play, I guess if I had to say it'd be funk or metal (totally different, I know :p ). I'm just using stock pickups with my tiny amp.

I've done a lot of soldering, so making it should be easy (I'm going to go SMD's for most of it) and it doesn't have that many parts. Even if it doesn't sound as good it'll be fine for me.

Here's the best schematics I could find.

Thanks guys.

2. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Metal Muff. Way better than the original Big Muff. Don't be fooled by the name either, it can do more than just metal.

3. Arctic

Arctic

Mar 8, 2010
    Wait, which one is that? Under what name is it here?

4. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Sorry, I posted before actually clicked on the link. Its not there. I just really like the Metal Muff.

Its worth checking out, I don't own one, but I had a chance to borrow one and it is much more versatile and sounds much better than the Big Muff IMO.

http://www.ehx.com/products/metal-muff

5. Arctic

Arctic

Mar 8, 2010
    Yeah, it has to be from there. ;) It has everything that's online, so if I can't find it there I won't find it anywhere.

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You're not going to get many responses, as this topic comes up VERY frequently...

Each version of the muff does something different, so you need to be very specific in what you want out of your muff...bassy, muddy, tinty, no mids, more mids, more fuzz, less fuzz.

7. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    From those I would go with the green russian because I't has a good rep from bass players.

8. I'd go Black Russian but that's just me

9. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    Either Green Russian or Violet Ram's Head and then adjust to taste.

By the by, the Metal Muff is not a Big Muff.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I still prefer the Little Big Muff.

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'd say Bass Big Muff.

The dry and bass boost options are a must-have IMO.

12. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    The plain Big Muff sounds great because the tone knob can make it really drippy sounding or very mid heavy, versatile enough in my mind.

13. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    The plain big muff can do a lot but one thing it absolutely can't do is sound mid heavy. It can sound very heavy but it does not have mids. The tone stack scoops the mids which is part of it's signature sound.

14. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    big muff

the whole "best for me" is subjective and listening for yourself is the only way really. or just go to a music store and play all the distortion pedals and report back which one you liked better.

15. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Instead of everyone yelling their two cents...why don't posters wait for the OP to answer my question above so we can keep this short...

16. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The GGG tuned BMP gets quite a lot of love around here. I've tried the Bluebeard (which it is often compared to) and loved it. Check out the GGG schematics & part lists.

Another version to consider is the BYOC Large Beaver. It's built around the average actual values of Ram's Head and Triangle Muffs as they were looking for the "original intent" of the sound. Most interesting is the added mid EQ section which'll make the muff way more usable. A lot of muff clones (and now stock EHX BMP w/Tone Wicker) have some sort of tone bypass so you don't get lost in the mix.

If you're not sure what you want, then build the most versatile unit you can. My dream muff would be the GGG tuned muff with a tone bypass and a clean blend.

Edit: whoops, was researching and missed the last post by rratajski. My bad.

17. Arctic

Arctic

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm looking for something bassy that can go from a little fuzz to a fair amount (nothing over the top).

I'd love to try them out in real life, but the only store near me that has anything good is like an hour drive which doesn't work for me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

18. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Build a Mosrite FUZZrite. Great sounding fuzz pedal, easy enough to be build, and it lacks the horrid, mid-scooped sound of the run-of-the-mill Big Muff (which, in my opinion, is more of a distortion than a fuzz).

The FUZZrite is essentially a pedal that squares the input wave, so the resulting clips sound (in my opinion) excellent, warm, and not too over the top. Plus, the circuit is pretty simple.

(I'm going to be killed by Big Muff owners for this post).

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    You can dial the sustain back on the Big Muff, but it's pretty over the top and that's what it specializes in. Based on the limited information you've supplied about what you're looking for, I'd say there's much better options out there than a Big Muff for you.

Also a Big Muff may work well for funk music, but if the guitars start getting dirty at all you will quickly get lost in the mix because of the Muff's inherent mid scoop. You'll have to work something out with your guitarist/s if you're going to be heard while playing metal music, if you play in a band.

20. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I agree w/ Mark Olson.

If you are stuck on a muff, from what you asked for, build a Black Russian version. It's lower gain and bassy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020