1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which cab with this SWR studio 220??

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by alteredpilot, Sep 20, 2008.

1. so i was digging around in the garage and discovered an SWR studio 220 head that for the life of me i cant remember where it came from...

i'm gonna take it down and see if its good/fixable...

so if'n it is, i'm wondering what speaker enclosure to match it up with.

i'm plum stupid when it comes to all this stuff. i've always just played what was available.

currently i'm playing my fender jazz bass thru a Gk 300 and an swr 1x15 but they're not mine, time is running out on the use and i need to put some bucks up for a personal rig.

i just bought a christoper laminate with guts and a rev II

i'd like something that i could switch up on, but again, i'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to this stuff.
    any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I have a bunch of cabinets and have owned a bunch more
    Right now really digging a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 , has the bottom and doesnt have that brittle high end that I associate with tweeters

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. AP ..... I'm right in there with you in The Ignoramus Department .... especially when it comes to E-Basses (I don't know anything about them and don't want to know :D ) . However .... if you want that Rev II p-up on your new cool Christo upright to sound good thru mostly any amp or PA system .... Check out a Fishman Platinum Pro pre-amp / DI .... real handy box to have around. I think TornadoBass from Iowa may even still have an oldy-but-goody model for sale in The Classifieds.
    Mr. Robert Van L is onto something there AP :D ! If you want a speaker cab that works with yer e-bass and yer new upright ... definitely check out the EA Wizzy Line-Up .... I have a Wizzy 12 M-Line and Boy Howdy does that box honk out a genuine upright bass sound ... It'll Rattle Your Rafters :p .

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    So that's where I left it...would you mind giving it back already?;)

Seriously, I recommend the Wizzy 112, too. I use one with a GK 400RB for small/medium upright/BG gigs. I'm always impressed by its warm but clear tone and the amount of volume it extracts from a 200 watt head.

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I believe someone recommended the Bergatino HT-112ER recently.

If you want to do something different and more old-school, go for the amazing Bag End cube cabs.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yes...my Fishman Pro-EQ is still looking for a home...the earlier metal box version. I've been plugging straight into an AI Clarus, so the Fishman just sits in its box.

And I'd second the Wizzy 12 as a good small/medium gig all-around cab!

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    The Studio 220 is a nice amp, The components (hand chosen) used in those earlier SWR's were good from front to back......that changed as SWR became a larger entity. If it needs servicing, it's well worth doing.

I bet that one (or two) of those EA Wizzy 10's would be a nice match for your new found amp!

8. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The amp is good for 4ohm , so it would have to be only one wizzy

Thanks

Robert VanLane