Which cheap MP3 recorder for rehearsals recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nemo, Dec 28, 2004.

1. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    It has been discussed a bit a couple of months ago, but progress is advancing very fast and nowadays we have on the market dozens of affordable MP3 player/recorder models.
    I'd like to buy one for recording of our band rehearsals.
    It should meet the following conditions:
    1. Price up to $100-150
    2. Being able to record loud sounds :D using built-in mic without distortion. It doesn't need to be top notch quality, just clear enough for later listening.

I will possibly end up using line-in+external mic, but let me ask from your practical experience - have you used some model which is able to record well using built-in mic? Thanks a lot.
  2. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Resurrection bump..

Anybody uses one of these MP3 wonders?
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Pass. I'm still using a MD player at the moment. When it dies, I'll look and see what the options are but it's holding up at the moment. I've heard good things about Neuros units but haven't got any first hand experience.

4. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Hi Nemo,

I have been using the iRiver IFP 590T for over a year now and I am very happy with the quality that I get, not to mention the many features and the very easy navigation (for instance, if you stop the playback mode it will automatically switch back to record stand by mode).
    But you do need to use an external mic for live recording. I have a cheap stereo mic, very tiny, clip-on type (no battery). I just place it somewhere in the middle of the rehearsal studio, it picks up everything (especially bass!).

It is still in production but is now called the iFP 990T I believe, and it's listed for $199. Look here for more info:

Just make sure you can hook up a microphone to the line input as was the case with the 590 iFP. Recording at 126 kbps will give you more than 3 hours recording time.

My band members are still stunned by the quality of this little devil.

Grtz, steven

Oh, I see that that the 990 does indeed have the external microphone feature, but if you order it from iRiver Switzerland it will cost you about 345 USD!!!! If you decide to go for it
    you had better try and order it from the US or find a local shop.

EDIT 2:
    Even better, I see you can order the iFP590 from pixmania.cz for 5124 CZK. Check this out:

5. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Thanks for a great reply. Wow, you even included link to Czech shop.. :) That iRiver looks cool!
    Meanwhile I have found that friend of mine has a Diva Gem player that allows to set internal microphone sensitivity. He used it to record live gigs with good results. I will probably borrow it for one of our rehearsals to check it out. If it will not work I will go the MP3 player + external mic way.