1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which d.i. Under 100 bones?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GhostBassKillah, Sep 27, 2013.

1. GhostBassKillah

GhostBassKillah

Aug 30, 2013
    Looking for an active d.i. To record my passive p bass using my m audio mobile pre. Hooking it to the line In now give me a mighty low distorted tone.
    Any suggestions folks?

2. There's a lot of DI's out there, from simple to complex, passive or active, cheap to expensive. I'll suggest 3:

1. Behringer BDI 21, it's very cheap and simple with a clean tone. Some folks say it's a carbon copy of the Sansamp BDDI, but not me, it's pretty clean unless you crank the gain knob to 10. Not bad for $25 new or $15 used.

2. ART USB Dual Tube Pre, it's only $99 brand new, has a real 12AX7 tube in it, it can be used as a usb audio interface as well, has a built in limiter and other bells and whistles. Lots of folks here swear by this one.

3. EDEN WTDI pedal, great tone, $99 used, I don't own it and never used it but folks here have raved over it. Do a search in the AMP forum and you'll find them.

Good luck.

3. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    I always liked Art equipment. Have several preamps.

4. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Buy a used JDK and never think about it again.

5. As a point of reference, with a DI (Passive or Active), you'll still be putting out a mic level signal, which would need to be boosted by a mic preamp. I'm guessing that the M Audio has a mic input, so you'll want to go in that way.

I would also recommend a bit of reading about DI boxes, and the difference between active and passive DI's. Here's a good overview - it's on the Radial website so it's about their boxes, but the information about passive versus active DI's is still good.