1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which delaying loop station

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 26, 2008.

1. which one would be best in a live situation.. or at least most practical? The Line 6 DD4, the electro harmonix memory man w/hazzaria or a delay pedal and that red loop pedal?? All I really know I want to do for sure is be able to play a line, then keep building over it, but also have delay some of the time..

2. I love my Akai Headrush E2 for this... Easy to use for a looping n00b, nice digital delay, nice tape delay sim. Haven't tried the others, but have seen a broken DL4...

Steve

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I have the EHXSMMWH. I love it. I'm sure MysticBoo will be along later and tell you the same thing...

Lots of cool delay modes, 30secs of loop time, the ability to save a preset for each delay type, and you can use delay on your loops. And, with it being EHX you can do loads of quirky things with the loop, like reverse it, the overdub over it, then flip it back the right way round, and then the dub you just recorded is backwards, while everything else is the right way round... :D

Still haven't worked out what Hazarai means though...

4. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    hazarei knob lets u scroll through the settings pretty much. and yeah, its a nice one

5. so you get 30 seconds of recording time? you can play a 30 second long riff and the entire riff will be repeated? what i don't get is how sensitive/accurate is the initial turning on of the loop like.. do you have to time it perfectly so that when the loop repeats itself there isn't a little gap of silence from where you turned it on to the point where you started playing? does it sound right if you just press down on the recording button with your foot as it was the down beat of the riff? i just feel like the beggining would have a little quirk in there

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    1) Yes, you can record a 30 second riff which will repeat forever

2) The SMM is different to the Boss loopers, in that rather than pressing the pedal once to record and then once to stop recording, you just hold the footswitch down with your foot. The moment you take your foot off the pedal it starts playing back the loop. So you have to time your foot so that the loop is in time. It is the same with the Boss pedals though - you still have to get the timing right.

3) The Boss loopers are more versatile than the SMM - they have the ability to delete overdubs, and store loops. However, they are dedicated loopers, and for a combined looper and delay, I really like the SMM. I would say that you should try before you buy - you might find that one of the other delay/looper pedals suits your needs better.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The Boss, which I have, has some kind of quantize function as well as a guide beat. You can set it to always be an even number of beats so you don't get a weird 15 3/4 beat loop by accident. It's like training wheels but it makes odd meters difficult. It also has an auto start function that starts recording when you start playing. I keep 10 basic loops saved on the pedal to work off of and eliminate the margin of error but I think the information may be starting to deteriorate. The last time I played them they sounded strange, some have been in there for a couple years. I think I would have gotten the Headrush if I'd known about it instead of the Boss. It seems a little more flexible and it's a little less expensive.

8. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I also stand behind the SMMH for it's realiability and flexibility. Lots of options for delay time including 3 sec, 1 sec, 300ms + mod, reverse echo and 2 or more settings that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Oh, all that and tap tempo. Great pedal for the price IMO.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The Boss DD-6 and -20 also do looping more in the style of the SMMH. 5.2 sec and 26 sec (I think) of looping time, respectively.

Happynoj -- Hazarai is Yiddish and kinda means "everything thrown together." Kinda. I dunno, Yiddish is weird... it's like how the Arctic natives have 40 words for snow, Yiddish has 40 words for 'schmuck.' You talk about what you know.

I might call Mike Mathews a schmuck, but he might be more of a shmendrick :D

10. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I find multiple uses for one switch gets confusing on something that's layed out like the DD-6, I personally wouldn't buy that specifically for the looping function.

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Aha!! Thank you. I assumed it was Japanese or something - it sounds a bit Japanese to me.

Apparently they don't - it is an urban myth. At least according to QI, but everything that is said on QI is true, so...

I love your username. Every time I see it I smile. I'm not sure why, it just amuses me. Is there a reason behind it?

12. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    You know you're the second person who's told me that ha.