1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which discontinued combo for shredfunk power trio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindwell, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine Combo

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Fender Bassman TV-15

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I've decided that I love combo amps, and that a need a bit more juice than my Fender Bassman TV-12 provides.

My current ensemble is a three-piece that writes and plays shredfunk rockstrumentals (couple Jeff Beck covers as well), some live audio for which may be found here: Roadstrut Manor Given what we do, and given that I've gone all in on EBMM Stingray 5s (fretted and fretless) for my sound, I'm leaning toward the Mesa M3 Combo, as I once owned the M6 Fathom head and that huge, fast sledgehammer tone would kill. And yet, I think the tone from my TV-12 is wonderful and quite musical, and is something I could definitely live with in a 350-watt package that offers enhanced bump.

Hence my dilemma. And for the next few years, at least, a 60-70 lb combo with wheels shouldn't be too much for me to handle.

WWTBD?

For those who have played both, two questions: a) which gets louder, and b) which can do a more convincing sonic impersonation of the other?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it would be a push volume-wise as long as they both have a 115. 50w isn't very much to make a difference in volume. Only played the M6 combo but it was pretty decent...a little harsh sounding to my ears but good. I've played the TV15 and thought it was amazing, but I'll never understand why it didn't have an option for expandability with cabs. Way too expensive new to not have expandability. But if you can find a deal on one, it's probably the best thing I've heard out of Fender that didn't have a tube power amp.

Groove Doctor and mindwell like this.
  3. I'd go whichever I liked the best. .. plus as JimmyM says... having the option the ADD another cab to COMPLIMENT the combo would be essential in my case. ..you may not feel the same way of course, and if one of these 2 will do all you need. .. it's a moot point.
    I've heard that the TV15 is a beauty. Haven't played the Mesa combo.

4. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Linnin likes this.
  5. The title of this post is quite possibly the most TalkBass title I have ever seen aside from 'Which mixed drivers are best for metal'? :D

JimmyM and mindwell like this.
  6. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I write for my audience.

JimmyM likes this.
  7. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    The other factor in my decision was that I got this Combo 300 for $100, which would have made the Mesa kind of redundant.

22051044_717967431925_8562715187326021471_o.jpg

Plastalmonus likes this.