1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which DR string is best for metal?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whereeaglesdare, Mar 6, 2008.

1. whereeaglesdare

whereeaglesdare

Aug 13, 2007
    I looked through all 8 pages and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so my question is, which DR string is gonna cut through the best and stuff? Would Lo-Riders be good/better than Hi-Beams as far as cutting through? I play through a Peavey something-or-other 200 watt amp and a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio and my band's tuning is D standard (DGCF). Thanks guys.

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    They both have a fairly similar tone: bright, punchy, percussive, lots of attack. I find the Hi-Beams a wee bit brighter and less thick.

The real question is how much tension you like, though. Hi-Beams are pretty slack, thanks to the round core, and are very easy on the left hand. Lo-Riders are normal or slightly tighter than other hexcore roundwounds of the same gauge, so you can dig in harder on your right hand without getting all buzzy and floppy.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think Lo-Riders are your best bet. They have a bit more oomph in the low end and more tension, which is better for more aggressive playing styles.