Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which EMG for Single Pick-up Bass? Also OBP-3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Will, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Folks,

I am trying to make a decision on which pick-up to fit into my new custom built single-p'up bass (4-string, standard EADG tuning). Curious if anyone has had any experience with the EMG soapbars (particularly the 35TW) or any alternative suggestions.

The 'main' kind of sound I want to get close to for clarity and punch is something similar to my EMG P/J configuration Fodera Monarch with blend pot centred (both pick-ups on full). Not really needing a 'too' traditional sound.

Pickup-up position: Slightly closer to neck than a Musicman

Also, can anyone recommend if 9v or 18v would better to power the one pickup along with an Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp to get optimal tone and minimum distortion?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

2. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Anybody??? :confused:

3. can't help you with an EMG soapbar...I have an EMG P in my P-bass copy which I like a lot...

in the area of 35 size soapbars, I have a single Kent Armstrong in my wishbass that is a very good sounding pickup. One of these in the sweet spot will definitely give you a nice tone, IMO...I'd recommend 18v on the Aggie for better headroom...tone will NOT be affected by voltage, you'll just get better head room.

Also make sure that the bass gets a series/single/parallel switch...very handy for tonal variations...

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I disagree about the preamp. Having an 18V EMG preamp makes your tone even more hi-fi than EMGs usually are, IME. An Aggie preamp probably would be easier to get a better tone out of. However, EMGs are made for use with EMG preamps with the wires that they have.

-Eric.

5. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Am really curious how the 35TW would sound as well. A few posts have mentioned fitting this pick-up, but no reviews yet....................So please share any experiences you might have had! :)

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    35DC

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I can't help you with the pickup size, but I do have a bass with active EMG pickups and an Aguilar OBP-1. You can definitely use the Aguilar pre with EMG p'ups.

IMO, the adding the Aguilar (which replaced a 2 band EMG preamp) warmed up the sound and made it "bigger", more growly and less hi-fi. I seem to be able to dial in tones I like easier. I much prefer the Aggie to the EMG preamp.

YMMV, IMHO, JM$.02, etc. etc...

8. electronically that just ain't so...it's just a headroom thing...not to say that you can't benefit tonally from headroom, because then you can dig in and play harder...but that has to do with playing style, NOT any toneshaping differences between 9v and 18v

9. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Looks like the final decision now is between the 35DC or the 35TW now.......The Aguilar preamp will definately be great.

As a thank-you to those for their advice so far, here is a first glimse of the prototype for my new 'nearly-signature' Bass.
    This one should have been mine, but the builder and I are gonna re-fine it a little more for my final model (hence the advice requests).

www.adamovic.nl (its the Jupiter model that is pictured)

The one shown was given a good testing on friday night at a rehearsal and WOW, have never been so comfortable playing a Bass in all my 15+ years! :bassist:

Specs currently as follows:
    Flamed Ash Top/Walnut middle/Swamp Ash back
    Wenge/Maple Neck
    Hipshot D-tuner and Hardware
    Haeussler Pickup
    Noll Preamp

For those looking for the famous Warwick Thumb growl, this one nails it and will easily will be replacing my Fodera Monarch (which I still love very much though) and my 1998 Warwick Thumb (suffering the nightmare balance problems).

Will do a new posting when its ready in a few weeks, but in the meantime just the final pickup decision, as the current combination is amazing but doesn't 'cut' in the way I personally need.

More pictures are available if you would like, but not great at posting these kinda things. :)

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    That is a very cool looking bass! Congratulations!

You might consider posting a pic in the Basses forum once you get it. Great looking bass.

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The TW is flat, warm, and smooth. The DC is a bit edgier, colorful and fat.

12. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Unchain,

How is the Jazz setting on the 35TW by comparison? Also, just curious which bass you have used this pick-up in?

Cheers,

Andy

13. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I've used both pups in a Modulus Graphite 6. The TW's dual coil is similar to the DC, but warmer. The Jazz setting sounds much like a Jazz bridge pickup, clearer and shimmering compared to the dual coil. I just stuck with the DC. Less complex, more to the point. But, it's your bass and your decision.

14. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Excellent, thanks a lot for your advice!
    Putting the order in now to get the ball rolling........

Can't wait to hear how this turns out! :bassist: