1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Eminence Bass Driver For 15" Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dropDADG, Apr 7, 2018.

1. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    I have a Rumble 500 combo and want to use an existing cabinet as an extension cab. It is an existing Fender BXR 300 combo amp (15", 300watt @4ohms Fender Special design driver) but, I plan to upgrade the driver to one of several Eminence 8ohm options. The Legend CB15, Legend BP 1525, and the Eminence Delta series. I have no use for this amp and figured it would be cheaper to just buy a driver similar to what the rumbles have in their extended cabs. Also, this cabinet is similar in dimension to the rumble 1x15 cab and is vented at the bottom (pictured below the Rumble). Appreciate any input.

Attached Files:

2. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Spend the extra for a Kappalite 3015 non LF. Better driver. Lighter. It will work just fine in that cab with the power you have available.

If you haven't tried the stock speaker do that first. It might be enough for your needs.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Except that it's 4 ohms.

mbelue likes this.
  4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Why not simply sell the old combo and use that money plus what you would spend on new driver and buy the matching Rumble extension cab?

Munjibunga, BassmanPaul and mbelue like this.
  5. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    Lol if I could get it to sell sure but its been a month, no bites. Another reason I'm choosing this route

6. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    How do you know any of the Eminence drivers you're considering are any better than the Eminence OEM you already have?

BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  7. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    If you review the OP, the existing cabinet Im talking about replacing the driver in is from the 90's and has a Fender special design driver, not an Eminence, unless they are one in the same and I'm not aware of it. The drivers in the Rumble series are made in China and honestly I'm not sure if the quality level is the same or not regardless if it's an Eminence design. But that wasnt my issue.

8. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    Actually the factory driver in the BXR is 8ohms, the head is 300 watts at 4 Ohms with an extension cabinet...

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Ok, you weren't clear.

In this case, I'm with Rick. I wouldn't bet that a replacement driver is better or more efficient than what Fender installed.

10. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    I'm with you there, I'm more concerned about power handling at this point. The bxr has parallel outputs for an extension cab, so I'm guessing this Factory driver that is in it is only 8ohms and may handle only 200 Watts
    If that, I will have 250 going to it with the rumble 500 combo. Really my only reason for looking for a better driver or more powerful I should say

11. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Try it. If it works use it. It won't blow unless you abuse it, or it's defective.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Should be fine if you use a bit of common sense.

13. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Even if it is rated for 200 watts, and you don't know that, a driver rated for more may not be an upgrade. A higher power rated drive might not even work as well. You can't consider only one spec, you have to consider all of them.
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker
    Since you don't know the specs on what you have you can't know what it would take to improve on it.

dropDADG and agedhorse like this.
  14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I bought a BXR300C for my first amp after quitting the music scene to help raise my sons , 1980 to 1995 . I was used to SVTs and thought only Cerwin Vega 18s were the only way to go from when I used to play back in the 70s . When I got the Fender in 1996 I was suprised that it kept up with the band I got in playing classic rock . The guitar players both used Peavey 412 cabs and liked to use a lot of low end . I liked my tone alright but thought maybe a Peavey Black Widow might be an upgrade so I bought a new one and installed it without having any idea back then if it would work in that box . It didn't break up and seemed to be fine but it wasn't an upgrade at all . The stock speaker sounded just as good and never did break up or distort and we played pretty loud .

Long story short is that from my experiance with that speaker in that amp you should have no trouble getting a lot of volume and not worry about it blowing . The only issue I had with that amp is that it weighs a ton and the tone from that head was rather blah . If you don't mind the weight of the cab it should be fine .

dropDADG likes this.
  15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Just running 2x15 will get you up to better levels. Woulnt worry about power handling.

Yes deltas or betas or kappas might have higher thermal ratings.

But the actual power to distortion level is somewhat similar. I had 90s fender 1x15 and it was a stamped steel eminence factory driver. Similar to a beta or the somewhat cheaper now extinct gamma 15

dropDADG likes this.
  16. dropDADG

dropDADG

Sep 23, 2017
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. Ill leave it as is

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021