1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which headphones are good for practicing with your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emanuelcash, Mar 30, 2009.

1. emanuelcash

emanuelcash

Mar 30, 2009
    I am looking into getting some quality headphones and I am open to suggestions thank you.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Probably anything in the $80 + department is going to be good, you know, designed for studio work, so they'll be good at all frequencies. Ideally you'll be wearing them for hours and hours so comfort is a real issue. (that means, try 'em first.)

3. omaha_sessions

omaha_sessions

Mar 29, 2009
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555s and they work great. Really good for listening to music as well. Good freq response, very clear, transparent, balanced sound , and super comfortable! Amazon has them for the cheapest at 90 bucks.

4. emanuelcash

emanuelcash

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks for the info guys my standard headphones suck.

5. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's. I practice exclusively with headphones and these have worked well for me. Decent bass response, comfortable, etc. I've had mine for a couple of years, but a quick Google search shows they can be found for around 70 bucks.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    [OT]
    peabody: There may be no I in TEAM, but there is an ME!

There's also some MEAT in there some where! LOL
    [/OT]

8. The Sennheiser HD435s are (initially) bass-heavy - that's why I bought a pair from my local supermarket - also they were selling them 50% off.

They emphasise the bottom end, which is what I wanted, to help pick out bass lines.

The more they are used, seemingly, the more the response flattens out.

9. emanuelcash

emanuelcash

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks

10. Grado SR80, or the SR60. In that range, nothing can touch them. You would have to at LEAST double the price to get something of the same quality. They are actually the same headphone, just with a different ear piece. I have the SR80 with the 60 ear pieces on them that I quartered.

lowsound

11. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    There would also be a "TAME" "MATE" looking "AT ME". :rolleyes:

12. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    Love my Beyer Dynamics 770 Pro's...

13. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Also some "tea" if you get thirsty or "a met"(whatever that is) and "ta ta" if you have to leave and even something to "eat" if you get hungry or if you just "ate" or if I'm not hungry, I'm "MT" and my dear "ma" and a even a celebrity: Mr. "T" and also someone name "Emat". :hyper:

14. +1 on the Grado phones.

I was a little doubtful when I first saw them because they don't have the classic "around the ear" look I was expecting in a high-end set of headphones, but they beat anything else I've ever heard. I have the SR125 model, and they have served me well for about 8 years now, IIRC. I've used them in the studio, and they will play bass guitar *cleanly* at very high volume, unlike many other brands/models I have tried.

15. +1 for longlivity. I bought mine used and I use them about 3 or 4 hours a day, at a minimum, and they are still working like new. The only reason that I would ever get rid of them would be to get better Grados.

lowsound

16. emanuelcash

emanuelcash

Mar 30, 2009
    cool narrowed it down between the grados, sony mdrs, and the sennheiser 555s

17. I had sony's before the Grados, they don't sound near as well. More like listening to music through a mattress.

lowsound

18. emanuelcash

emanuelcash

Mar 30, 2009
    well the sonys are out so now just the grados and the sennheisers

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I have 2 pairs with my Tascam Bass Trainer.

One pair is a pretty cheap pair $20ish of Sony's [wrap behind the head] that I also use with my iPod. Sound fine when I'm at home.

The other pair is a set of isolation head phones sold/marketed by Vic Firth. I think they were $50ish from Guitar Center.

20. Try these - if you don't like them I will buy them from you.

Short money and sound good - pleanty of bass response - I have used mine for over a year - play through them - record and learn music with them on - only thing you will need is an extension as the cord is short and designed for use with an mp3 player.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KTXPRO1-Titanium-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00007056H/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238970870&sr=8-1