1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which is better? recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by serein2j, Apr 16, 2009.

1. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been researching through many heads and my budged is $600 max.

the Head has to be powerful enough to push my SWR Triad Cabinet rated 400W @ 4 ohms.

After looking though many heads,

SWR 550X, SWR WorkingPro 400, Ampeg B4RE, Ampeg SVT-3 PRO, Gallien Kruger 700RB, 1001RB, EBS Fafner, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

Among those heads, which would be best?

I'm looking for the tone that is not too Hi-fi or not too muddy. And something versatile that can fit from RHCP to Hillsong to R&B.

So far I'm leaning toward SWR 550X, GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0, and Gallien Kruger 700RB.

Any recommendations/opinions regarding some heads I listed?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Totally subjective, they all sound different. You need to try them all with your cab, and buy the one you like the sound of. My choices among those you listed would be 3Pro or 1001RB. And, those 2 are nothing alike.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Honestly, all of those heads will get the job done for you. I will suggest the GK 700RB/1001RB mainly because you site RHCP as a tone requirement. Flea is a GK endorser is very rarely seen without a GK backline of some sort. GK amps are very versatile and I would not call them modern sounding either. Get 1001RB if you can, if you ever upgrade your cab, you will have more power at your finger tips to mess with.

Try as many of them as you can with YOUR BASS. That way, you know what head will do you good. Below are some of my opinions - I ask you to try the heads out anyway and see if I am correct. Also, read the manuals of the amps before you try them - you can figure out what every knob does prior to messing with the amps. A good way to try out different amp heads is to read and set the closest flat setting for the amp and go from there. You can hear the inherent tone of the amp right away and figure out if it is the right match for you.

SWR 550X - I would shy away from this head. IME, the head just does not have much going on tone wise.
    SWR WorkingPro 400 - Is really not in the same category as the rest of the amps listed - the other amps are higher quality. The SWR 550X is better than this one.

Ampeg B4RE, Ampeg SVT-3 PRO, Gallien Kruger 700RB, 1001RB, EBS Fafner, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 - All good choices.

4. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for good recommendation. I was actually really leaning towards 550x but I think I will seriously reconsider :)

any other recommendations~?

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You forgot a critical amp choice: Markbass LM II :D

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not that I want one, but is Hartke in this league?

Like my 3-Pro
    Used a Shuttle and thought it was great
    Want to try an LMII
    Not a fan of SWR as I'm not into hi-fi sound and I feel that's what it's best at
    (could make you a great deal on a SM400 though!)

7. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well... I donno... I just don't like markbass for some reason that I don't even know :~

Now I'm thinking Shuttle or just be safe and get 1001/700 rb

8. GK all the way I had a 700 and just moved up to the 2001RB. I'll put it this way I have owned a SWR Super Red Head, an Eden Metro, an Eden Time traveler head and Eden 4x10 cab and I wasn't happy until I started playing GK. To be honest I'm not happy with GK CABS, I would stick with what you have for now and then go MESA.:bassist:

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    G-K or G-B are the best choices here, IMO - can't go wrong with either...

- georgestrings

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi serein2j.

Something else worth considering: customer support...